Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Software Engineer - Machine Learning (Vancouver)
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:
We are looking for an experienced Machine Learning engineer to join our growing engineering team. As a member of the founding Quora engineering team in Canada, you'll have a huge impact on the culture and direction of the team. At Quora, we use machine learning in almost every part of the product - feed ranking, topic and user recommendations, spam detection, duplicate question identification, etc. As a machine learning expert, you will have a unique opportunity to have high impact by advancing these systems, as well as uncovering new opportunities to apply machine learning to the Quora product. You will also play a key role in developing tools and abstractions that our other developers would build on top of.
* Improve our existing machine learning systems using your core skills
* Identify new opportunities to apply machine learning to different parts of the Quora product
* Work with other machine learning engineers to implement algorithms and systems in an efficient way
* Take end to end ownership of machine learning systems - from data pipelines, feature engineering, candidate extraction, model training, as well as integration into our production systems
* 3+ years of industry experience in machine learning or related field
* Good understanding of mathematical foundations of machine learning algorithms
* Previous experience building end to end machine learning systems
* Knowledge of Python or C++, or the ability to learn them quickly
* BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
* Flexible and positive team player with outstanding interpersonal skills.
* Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.