Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Product Design, Lead
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds -- from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences -- so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. (blog.quora.com/Our-Mission) To do that, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing requires a multidisciplinary approach and a diverse team, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
About the Role:
Quora designers are thoughtful generalists. (quora.com/What-is-the-role-of-a-product-designer-at-Quora) As a product design lead, you'll drive a cross-functionally collaboration with product, data, and engineering partners to advise on design principles. You'll also be hands-on and responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code yourself (no middlemen required!). You work on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems. Your design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure.
* Lead design and development with a product team focused on a major, user-facing area of Quora.
* Identify high-impact opportunities, design features in pursuit of strategic goals, and present rationale for your decisions to gain consensus across teams as well as with leadership.
* Autonomously lead multiple projects while effectively collaborating, as well as challenging the team, on the most optimal solution.
* Manage UI complexity (complexity reduction is not always the solution), resulting in polished UI design, clear information hierarchy, a holistic feature set.
* Collaborate with engineers to define features and functionality, with other designers for feedback and critique, and with data scientists and user researchers to evaluate the impact of your work.
* Build what you design using React.
* Ship highly impactful new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week.
* Provide mentorship to design team members
* 5+ years innovative, end-to-end design leadership on projects with a cross-functional product team.
* Demonstrated thought leadership and high level thinking about a complex, social product, and adept at clearly explaining reasons for new features and changes.
* Experience autonomously building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product or business goals.
* Ability to build what you design (technical competence in these front-end technologies: HTML, CSS, JS, and React). (Designers at Quora code) (irondavy.quora.com/Designers-Will-Code) .
* Interest in using data and user research to inform design decisions. Comfort with A/B testing and data analysis frameworks.
* Portfolio demonstrating relevant design capabilities.
* Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth.
* Experience with effective A/B testing.
* Desire to mentor junior designers.
* Experience writing and documenting proposals.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure (quora.com/about/ccpa_job_applicant)