Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Product Design - New Grad 2020
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. To do that, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing requires a multidisciplinary approach and a diverse team, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Quora designers are thoughtful generalists. (quora.com/What-is-the-role-of-a-product-designer-at-Quora) As a product designer, you'll be responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code yourself (no middlemen required!). You work on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems. Your design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure.
* Work on a product team focused on a major, user-facing area of Quora. Identify high-impact opportunities, design features in pursuit of goals, and explain the rationale for your decisions
* Collaborate with engineers to define features and functionality, with other designers for feedback and critique, and with data scientists and user researchers to evaluate the impact of your work
* Design interactions for new features, applying existing design patterns and creating new ones, across our platforms
* Build what you design using a custom web framework developed by Quora that makes front-end development easy and efficient. Designers at Quora code (irondavy.quora.com/Designers-Will-Code)
* Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects. Ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week
* A portfolio demonstrating relevant design capabilities is required. Applications without portfolios will not be considered
* Ability to think at a high level about a complex, social product, and to clearly explain reasons for new features and changes
* Experience building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product or business goals
* Demonstrated visual design skill, especially in the construction of visual hierarchies, and attention to detail on typography, spacing, and color
* Interest in using data and user research to inform design decisions
* A passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
* Experience with server-side languages like Python
* Experience with effective A/B testing
* Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth
* Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.