Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Product Designer - Tools
$125k – $165k • No equity
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. (blog.quora.com/Our-Mission) To do this, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach this audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. We're building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Designers at Quora are building a system to democratize access to all knowledge for the entire world. Our work leverages what we learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. We value a diverse team and pursue candor, holism, rigor, care, and awareness in our work.
About the Role:
If you are interested in thinking about systems and process as well as building tools consider this unique design role. We're looking for someone who is excited about collaborating with designers, product engineers, data scientists, and product managers to do their work better. The problems will be wide-ranging and continue to evolve. All designers at Quora write code as part of their process, so the tool possibility space is vast.
You'll be responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code. We value rigor and empathy in equal measure.
* Build tools with and for product designers to help them move quicker and make our product better.
* Collaborate with machine learning engineers to build tools that help them build, debug, and visualize the output of various systems.
* Improve how we visualize and digest data from analysis and A/B testing, ultimately improving how we make decisions.
* Communicate your ideas through wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes.
* Produce documentation and educate the people who will be using the tools you create.
* Ownership of this role itself and help evolve it to be what is most impactful.
* Enjoy thinking about process, abstractions, and meta-work
* Demonstrated ability to build what you design and continuously learning new skills
* Proven ability to collaborate and empathize with, as well as challenge, designers, engineers, and data scientists
* Value pragmatism, efficiency, self learning, and autonomy
* Expertise in HTML, CSS, Python, and React
* No minimum number of years of experience
* Comfort with A/B testing, data analysis frameworks
* Exposure to machine learning and tools related to machine learning
* Experience building tools before or working in conceptually similar problem spaces
* Experience building complex tools for internal use or B2B situations
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.