Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Data Science Technical Lead - Experimentation & Platform
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We have a deeply-ingrained experimentation culture: every day our online experimentation system powers hundreds of ongoing A/B tests that quantitively inform our product decision making, and our product engineers and designers are well educated in good experimentation practices. Examples of projects some of our data scientists have worked on in the area of experimentation include designing a robust statistical test for ratio metrics, measuring novelty effects in an experiment, and understanding the caveats of performing A/B tests influenced by strong network effects.
Unsurprisingly, then, the Data Team is highly empowered at Quora, helping us navigate the complexities in our 300M-visitors-per month marketplace and influencing product and company strategy directly. In addition to the experimentation platform, we are always on the lookout for solutions to improve data scientists’ workflow in formulaic work and free up their creative energy to tackle hard, open-ended questions. Example of projects in the area of data platform include building in-house anomaly detection system to monitor our time series data, assessing third-party solutions that democratize data access for non-technical people and partnering with engineers to introduce them to Quora, etc.
About the Role:
As a Tech Lead on experimentation and data platform, you'll define vision, plan roadmap, and scope and implement projects to optimize the way we run experiments and to increase data scientists' productivity. You will partner with engineers and data scientists to design and build platforms that quite tangibly cultivate a data-driven culture. Solutions will not only help Quora address contemporary knowledge inequality in a quantitively informed manner, but can help other companies and indeed everyone who conducts research in comparable contexts. In other words: it's important work.
* Lead the development of Quora’s online experimentation system in partnership with engineers
* Oversee the development of internal platforms (e.g. power calculation tool, dashboard annotation) and introduction of third-party analytical tools (e.g. Superset, Jupyter Notebook) to scale impact across the Data Team
* Drive adoption of good experimental and statistical practices across the company
* Mentor data scientist(s) on the experimentation & platform team and grow the team
* Advise data scientists and other developers across the company on experimental design and adoption of analytical tools
* Apply statistical techniques to increase the efficiency and rigor of our experimental analyses
* 2+ years direct work experience with large-scale online experimentation systems at consumer internet companies
* Experience leading multi-person large-scope projects at a tech company
* Strong theoretical foundation in experimental design, causal inference, and/or econometrics
* Familiarity with Python or similar scripting language
* Experience writing production code and working with a complex codebase
* Demonstrated ability of cross-functional communication skill
* Demonstrated ability and passion in mentorship
* B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in STEM or quantitative social/behavioral science
* Experience developing online experimentation systems
* Familiarity with third-party analytical tools
* Experience working on medium or large scaled software engineering projects
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.