Prose is the 1st personalized haircare, freshly made in NYC
At Prose, we don’t believe in “one-size-fits-most.” We create custom hair care that’s inclusive to all hair types, needs and preferences. Each of our hair care products is customized to a person’s hair needs based on the results from an online consultation. The individual data is processed through a proprietary algorithm and made-to-order in the Prose lab using natural active ingredients. Marrying emerging technologies with the best in beauty, Prose is truly creating something special.
This is the opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and an energetic team that works together to deliver creative solutions that are transforming the way people think about and shop for hair care. We’re looking for talented problem solvers who lead with passion and who face any task with a positive mindset.
We are looking for a Creative Director to join our Brand & Creative Team and lead our design, copy and production functions at Prose. These functions play a pivotal role in effectively and beautifully communicating the Prose brand across all channels. This position reports directly to the VP of Creative and Brand. A great candidate will champion collaboration and communication, be an advocate for strategic decision making, and understand the importance and value of brand. They are comfortable with frequent context-switching: going from creative concepting to mentoring creatives to representing the creative team in cross-functional meetings. They have experience developing the visual identity or look and feel for consumer brands, and have developed compelling multi-channel creative and brand marketing experiences including digital, print, OOH, experiential, merchandising, and packaging. As the Creative Director, you will be responsible for translating brand strategy into powerful and purposeful creative concepts with a goal of elevating the work, contributing to our creative culture and motivating and inspiring team members.
The Creative Director will:
- Work directly with our VP of Brand and Creative to lead the creative execution of content and grow our brand across various offline and online channels including social media, email, acquisition, partnerships, campaigns, activations, and more
- Manage a small creative team that includes designers, copywriters and producers
- Provide creative direction, subject matter expertise and oversight to the creative team on all projects
- Help guide and empower the team to adapt the Prose brand system to a variety of audiences and touch-points
- Continue to visually and verbally evolve Prose as the brand matures and grows
- Lead projects through the entire creative process; from creative concept to iteration of design mockups, prototypes, finished assets and final production files
- Oversee creative production/operations to make sure the organization and reporting of work is consistent, file management is structured and the cost implications of creative decisions are tracked against the creative budget
- Set a high bar for how the Prose brand is visually and verbally experienced
- Work closely with the Product Team and Prose’s digital designers to ensure the brand is cohesive across all channels
- Collaborate with other teams at Prose to deliver creative solutions based on data, strategy and continuous iteration
- Continually strive to promote Prose mission and values
- Has 8+ years experience on a design or brand creative team
- 2+ years of managing creatives (designer, copywriters, art directors, etc.)
- Has experience working on and leading teams at a consumer start-up
- Has a portfolio that shows strong strategic and conceptual campaign thinking applied across a range of deliverables
- Has an extremely high bar for quality and a strong desire to create for a modern, sophisticated, and nuanced brand
- Has a keen understanding of how to build and maintain a brand across audiences and channels.
- Is able to balance strong creative with efficiency to meet the needs of an evolving market
- Is optimistic, empathic, and enjoy working as a team to reach shared goals
- Is a strong conceptual thinker and seek opportunities to improve process and evolve creative. Simply put: you're always thinking about ways to make Prose better through creative work
- Is extremely detail oriented, while able to step back and see the bigger picture
- Is committed to Prose's mission and goals, and are excited to tackle every project, however big or small.
Understand & Embody our Prose Values
- We know the best ideas come from open minds and willingness to listen. While our products cater to the individual, an invitation into our process is always open to our community.
- We value our differences and diverse backgrounds by communicating openly, managing with transparency and striving to understand one another’s perspective. It’s a key ingredient to our innovation.
- Our strength as a group will outlast our efforts as individual contributors. With offices across countries (and across boroughs) staying inventive and agile deepens our clear vision and consistent communication.
- We stay in a spirit of entrepreneurial collaboration: We do not have consensus at all times, but we trust one another to work toward our common goals. Our success is an expression and result of our progressive and gratifying teamwork.
- We value ownership and coaching that encourages employees to think constructively and creatively about the business. We view employees as leaders and individuals who are accountable, resourceful and responsible. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to lead.
- We recognize that in order to continue thinking one step ahead, we will need to try new things. We strive to provide an open environment that accepts this truth making space for new ideas to emerge.
- We assume good intentions in every interaction keeping ourselves accountable for the climate we create. We seek to understand our co-workers through this lens of conscious bienveillance, authenticity and fellowship.
- We operate with the intention of preserving resources, creating an environment we can all live in--for our business and the world. Sustainable care is essential to our ethos as an organization. We take a mindful approach to how we think about our people (employees) and our planet.
Perks & Benefits
At Prose we value our employees and their well being. As a growing business we aim to stay up to par on the latest perks and benefits for all of our eligible team members. Some of these include but are not limited to:
- A competitive and flexible PTO policy
- Competitive compensation package (base salary, target bonus and equity)
- Company sponsored health care plan ( medical, dental and vision plans)
- 401k + matching, FSA and commuter benefits
- Monthly fitness reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits & Electric Bike Sponsorship
- Free lunch in office, weekly and an abundance of office snacks
Work from home policy
Prose at a glance
Prose focuses on E-Commerce, Beauty, Hairsalon, and Mobile Application. Their company has offices in New York City and Paris. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Prose has raised $25M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2018.