Prose is the 1st personalized haircare, freshly made in NYC
Backend Staff Engineer - Python
At Prose, we don’t believe in “one-size-fits-most.” We create custom hair care that’s inclusive to all hair types, needs and preferences. Each of our hair care products is customized to a person’s hair needs based on the results from an online consultation. The individual data is processed through a proprietary algorithm and made-to-order in the Prose lab using natural active ingredients. Marrying emerging technologies with the best in beauty, Prose is truly creating something special.
This is the opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and an energetic team that works together to deliver creative solutions that are transforming the way people think about and shop for hair care. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture, and are looking for talented problem solvers who lead with passion and who face any task with a positive mindset.
As Backend Staff Engineer - Python, you will act as the manager for our Backend Engineers team while managing your own technical projects in parallel:
- Manage our team of Backend Engineers on a daily basis
- Share knowledge and mentor team members and still contribute to the code base
- Be responsible for designing, building, improving and maintaining our platform, third-party data integration, API & backend systems
- Ship stable, high-quality code to which you are proud to be a contributor (and fix the occasional bugs, we know it happens sometimes :)
- Use external services whenever they make sense — we don’t need to build everything in-house!
- Deliver excellent software through comprehensive peer-reviews, CI, and automated testing
- Stay current on new technologies and continuously improve skills
- Understand and consistently improve our codebase
- Work closely with frontend and UI/UX to design and implement features
- Bring your personal expertise and ideas to help solve problems creatively and effectively
- Explore new technologies to solve problems
- Promote the company’s mission and values
- Participate to hiring processes for new team members
- First successful experience leading a small team of developers
- 8+ years experience with Python, along with common libraries such as Django, Requests, Celery
- Experience with SCRUM methodology and squad-based organization a plus
- Experience building robust Restful APIs
- Strong understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Understanding of front-end technologies
- A knack for writing clean, readable and maintainable code
- Knows SQL outside of Django ORM or SQLAlchemy (even though we encourage using an ORM where appropriate)
- Able to design data schemas that represent and efficiently support business processes
- Eager to implement automated functional and unit tests
- Proficient with Git, a Unix shell, an editor (or IDE) and all others day-to-day developer tools
- Familiarity with continuous integration, Docker, Kubernetes, a PaaS or IaaS platform
- Familiarity with Stripe, Heap Analytics or similar a plus
- Interest in React (JS and/or Native), AsyncIO, Go, ML and technology in general a strong plus
Understand & Embody our Prose Values:
- We know the best ideas come from open minds and willingness to listen. While our products cater to the individual, an invitation into our process is always open to our community.
- We value our differences and diverse backgrounds by communicating openly, managing with transparency and striving to understand one another’s perspective. It’s a key ingredient to our innovation.
- Our strength as a group will outlast our efforts as individual contributors. With offices across countries (and across boroughs) staying inventive and agile deepens our clear vision and consistent communication.
- We stay in a spirit of entrepreneurial collaboration: We do not have consensus at all times, but we trust one another to work toward our common goals. Our success is an expression and result of our progressive and gratifying teamwork.
- We value ownership and coaching that encourages employees to think constructively and creatively about the business. We view employees as leaders and individuals who are accountable, resourceful and responsible. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to lead.
- We recognize that in order to continue thinking one step ahead, we will need to try new things. We strive to provide an open environment that accepts this truth making space for new ideas to emerge.
- We assume good intentions in every interaction keeping ourselves accountable for the climate we create. We seek to understand our co-workers through this lens of conscious bienveillance, authenticity and fellowship.
- We operate with the intention of preserving resources, creating an environment we can all live in--for our business and the world. Sustainable care is essential to our ethos as an organization. We take a mindful approach to how we think about our people (employees) and our planet.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive compensation package (base salary, target bonus and equity)
- Health insurance (Alan) + tickets restaurants + Classpass Subscription
- Nice and trendy office located at Reaumur Sébastopol
- Electric bike to commute easily to the office
- On-going training and development programs (think annual conferences, training or proficiency allowances)
- Company wide "annual kickoff" offsite (at a location to be disclosed)
- Free lunch weekly and an abundance of office snacks (which may include the occasional croissant, macarons and cheese spread)
Work from home policy
Prose at a glance
Prose focuses on E-Commerce, Beauty, Hairsalon, and Mobile Application. Their company has offices in New York City and Paris. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Prose has raised $25M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2018.