Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 15,000 tutors with tens of thousands of students from all over the world.
Founded in 2012 and backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable individual learners to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
Powered by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, Preply now has 180 employees of over 25 nationalities based between Barcelona and Kyiv. Preply is driven by a culture of experimentation and data-driven learnings, focused on building best-in-class consumer and enterprise solutions.
As the company looks to increase momentum and scale geographically, this is a unique opportunity to join one of the most vibrant and attractive start-up communities in the world.
As a Design Director, you will ensure that everything coming out of the design chapter adheres to the business goals while meeting the high standards in user experience, modern visual aesthetics, and created with the customer empathy in the center of the process.
As a Design Director, you'll:
- Growing a design culture and design maturity of the whole organisation;
- Doubling down on design chapter expertise through proactive coaching, hiring and spreading the knowledge;
- Increasing the contribution of the design chapter to both short-term and long-term product growth;
- Improving design operations with focus on growing the velocity and reducing the waste of development resources;
- Supervising Preply Design System evolution with strong focus on business outcomes.
What we're after:
- Exceptional design leadership, management and soft skills;
- Experience in managing design teams at companies with mature experimentation culture and top-notch expertise in A/B-testing;
- Enormous attention to details combined with helicopter view skills;
- Data-informed design culture and confidence in dealing with any types of data;
- Cross-platform design experiences (web, Android, iOS, emails);
- Experience in building design operations, understanding up-to-date best practices;
- Deep understanding of the challenges design systems and the teams behind them often face is backed by experience of overcoming such things;
- Hands-on design when necessary;
- Excellent knowledge in different design disciplines and significant knowledge sharing experience (individual coaching, conferences, content etc.);
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity.
- A customer-centric, empathetic mindset with excellent listening skills
- An ability to focus on what counts, creating simple solutions to deliver fast results
- A passion for learning and desire for self-improvement
What we offer:
- An opportunity for personal and professional growth, supported by high functioning teams, stellar investors and the exciting challenges that come with joining a company at the start of its growth trajectory
- An environment free of bureaucracy and corporate constraints; a culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and international culture
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance
Preply at a glance
Preply focuses on Internet, E-Commerce, Education, Search, and Language Learning. Their company has offices in Barcelona and Brighton. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Preply has raised $15.7M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2020.