Changing delivery for good
Software Engineer, Machine Learning
WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 80% of US households with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work on various challenging machine learning and optimization problems in real-time and in scale, including:
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency, and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms and infrastructure that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmates Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the efficiency (batching, chaining, etc) and reliability of the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
- Build end-to-end ML systems of designing, training, testing and deploying Machine Learning models
- Write production-level codes to train your ML models into working pipelines and services to serve production online traffic
- Have the ability to apply machine learning to solve complex business problems and optimize critical business metrics, and work closely with Product Managers and Data analysts to frame Machine Learning problems within the business context
- Analyze experimental and observational data, communicate findings, and facilitate launch decisions
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree (or higher) in a technical field (Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Math, Physics, Engineering, etc.) or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum of 3+ years of professional experience in Data Science or Applied Machine Learning required
- Solid engineering and coding skills with the ability to write high-performance production quality code
- Good understanding of common families of machine learning models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting
- Strong communication skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you.
OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
- Experience in Java, C++, Go, Python, Scala and other equivalent languages
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Airflow, Google BigQuery, BigTable, and Dataflow
- Experience with ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib, XGBoost, and Scikit-Learn
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with a competitive salary and equity plan, along with access to our 401k plan and robust benefits including: health benefits, flexible paid time off, parental benefits, and food perks.
We cover 100% for full-time employees and dependents on most medical, dental, and vision plans.
We provide all full-time employees up to 16 weeks of paid time off for new parents.
Every employee is paid a competitive salary and given a generous stock option plan.
We have a snack-filled kitchen, tasty and healthy catered lunches as well as free Postmates Unlimited Membership with $15 credits to use for meal pickup.
In addition to health club discounts, we provide access to regular workshops, virtual trainings, and videos helping employees with their health, wellness, and fitness needs.
Our SF office is dog-friendly and we encourage employees to bring their furry friends to work!
From job training to conferences, tuition reimbursement, lunch and learns, and so much more, we embrace a culture of learning and provide resources employees need to grow their career at Postmates.
We'll provide whatever you need to work efficiently and creatively.
At Postmates, we believe we have a shared responsibility to create positive change in our communities and society. Employees receive 24 hours per year of paid volunteer time. Check out our Social Impact report: social-impact.postmates.com
Postmates at a glance
Postmates focuses on Food and Beverages, Marketplaces, Postal and Courier Services, Transportation, and Logistics. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Nashville. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Postmates has raised $853.01M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2020.