Changing delivery for good
WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 80% of US households with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll use your full toolkit - statistical modeling, machine learning, data mining, data visualization, and software engineering - to develop data products and models that are used by millions of users and power the growth of our business. You will collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers and data analysts in defining the frontier of data products and models in the three-sided marketplace. Data scientists will work on how to formulate a model from a real business problem, determine evaluation metrics, evaluate different modeling approaches, conduct data analysis, and build features and algorithms for the various challenging problems at Postmates.
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmates Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree (or higher) in a technical field (Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Math, Physics, Engineering, etc.) or equivalent work experience required.
- minimum of 3+ years of professional experience in Data Science or Applied Machine Learning required
- A deep theoretical understanding of modern machine learning algorithms, statistical models, or optimization
- Extensive experience with data tools, Python (Pandas, Scipy, Numpy, Scikit-Learn, etc), R, SAS, SQL, etc and strong skills in data analysis, data visualization, and feature engineering
- Ability to own your modeling work from model development all the way to production deployment and beyond with minimal help from engineers
- Strong communication skills; Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you
OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Google BigQuery, and BigTable
- Experience with ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib, XGBoost, and Scikit-Learn
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with a competitive salary and equity plan, along with access to our 401k plan and robust benefits including: health benefits, flexible paid time off, parental benefits, and food perks.
We cover 100% for full-time employees and dependents on most medical, dental, and vision plans.
We provide all full-time employees up to 16 weeks of paid time off for new parents.
Every employee is paid a competitive salary and given a generous stock option plan.
We have a snack-filled kitchen, tasty and healthy catered lunches as well as free Postmates Unlimited Membership with $15 credits to use for meal pickup.
In addition to health club discounts, we provide access to regular workshops, virtual trainings, and videos helping employees with their health, wellness, and fitness needs.
Our SF office is dog-friendly and we encourage employees to bring their furry friends to work!
From job training to conferences, tuition reimbursement, lunch and learns, and so much more, we embrace a culture of learning and provide resources employees need to grow their career at Postmates.
We'll provide whatever you need to work efficiently and creatively.
At Postmates, we believe we have a shared responsibility to create positive change in our communities and society. Employees receive 24 hours per year of paid volunteer time. Check out our Social Impact report: social-impact.postmates.com
Postmates at a glance
Postmates focuses on Food and Beverages, Marketplaces, Postal and Courier Services, Transportation, and Logistics. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Nashville. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Postmates has raised $953.01M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2020.