Predictive analytics for global trade flows
Senior Backend Engineer$24k – $72k • 0.01% – 1.0%
Portcast is on a mission to help logistics companies achieve greater operating profitability and environmental efficiency by untapping the value of their logistics data. 90% of the world trade travels via maritime and shipping. Yet, the industry is at least 20 years behind its counterparts. We use machine learning models and artificial intelligence to develop game-changing cargo predictability and container visibility solutions for the logistics industry.
We are excited to be a fast-growing team of software engineers, data scientists and industry experts. Based out of Singapore, we’ve been building together since 2018, and are backed by Wavemaker Partners, Entrepreneur First, SGInnovate and Investigate VC, amongst other investors. We’re also part of the Pier 71 program launched by NUS Enterprise and Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA).
About The Role:
Portcast has already been used by global freight forwarding companies, manufacturers and cargo airlines. Our customers trust us to deliver fast, reliable and secure predictions to unleash greater profitability and realise the true value of their logistics data. We want to continue earning their trust, while also scaling and delivering new products to serve their needs.
As our Senior Backend Engineer, you will be reporting directly to our Head of Engineering and CTO and will work closely with our Product team to develop new products, scale existing ones and manage deployments and architecture.
What You'll Do:
- You'll design, build and maintain APIs, services and systems and debug production issues across multiple levels of the stack.
- You’ll collaborate closely with our Business, Product and Data Science teams to understand and solve customer pain points at scale.
What We're Looking For:
- Tech Stack: You are proficient with Python based backend programming, web frameworks like Flask, Amazon Web Services. You are able to design RESTful APIs and are aware of best practices. Experience with Docker, Git, Elasticsearch, Spark, CI/CD is a plus. If you worked on a different tech stack, but confident to bring tons of transferable experience, do also get in touch.
- System Architecture: You understand how parts of a system fit together and have a strong background in building scalable products or systems. You are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces / data sources and possess a meticulous attention to detail. You are quick to generate ideas and give suggestions on how to improve the tech stack and feature developments.
- Team Player: You have experience working in a diverse, dynamic and cross-cultural team. This role is an opportunity to drive engineering excellence within the team and participate in key architectural discussions. You are a hands on goal-orientated engineer who works according to milestones and software guidelines, following agile principles.
- Empathetic Communicator: You can communicate nuanced ideas clearly, from real time remote brainstorming to explaining a technical decision in writing. You may be opinionated, but in disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and can compromise when needed.
- You’ve been an early engineering hire who has built a technical product from scratch up to scale. We’d love to hear your learnings from doing that.
Portcast at a glance
Portcast focuses on Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, Analytics / Data, and Logistics / Transportation / Shipping. Their company has offices in Singapore. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.