Making it easy to compare and buy insurance
Engineering Manager - Growth
Software Engineering at Policygenius...
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free and experiment-oriented. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineering leaders like yourself.
Our growth teams build our interactive marketplaces and other consumer facing websites which help customers find the financial protection they need. They partner with Product, Design, and Product Marketing to develop feature experiments based on rigorous customer discovery.
In this role, you will…
- Hire and coach software developers to help them realize their potential
- Take on the development and advancement of your team's technical vision
- Work with embedded product, UX, and product marketing partners to design and deliver iterative solutions
- Create a highly technical, supportive, and inclusive environment for the team you lead
- Collaborate with leadership to create a technical strategy for your products and systems
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, creating and supporting customer-facing products
- You have 1+ years managing a software development team
- You have a proven track record of mentoring and developing the careers of software engineers
- You have experience forging collaborative partnerships with product managers and designers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- You have experience working in an agile environment
- You have significant experience in one or more of the following:
- React or an equivalent UI framework
- GraphQL or similar tools
- Web performance or accessibility
- Ruby on Rails or a similar web framework
- Relational Databases
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Technologies You Will Use
- GraphQL for communication for front-end data gathering, gRPC and REST for service interaction.
- Google Cloud Platform: Kubernetes, Cloud SQL, Cloud Functions, PubSub, BigQuery, DataStore, and more: we keep adopting new tools as we grow!
- Our build pipeline pulls from Git to build on BuildKite and deploy Docker-based services to Kubernetes in GCP.
Policygenius is America’s leading online insurance marketplace. Since 2014, our mission has been to help people get the financial protection they need (and feel good about it). We make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. To date, we’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance and placed over $45 billion in coverage.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we’re looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine’s “Best Workplaces” two years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!
Reap the benefits
This is our bread & butter. We offer fully-paid health, dental, vision, life, and short-term disability benefits.
New mother? New father? We offer paid parental leave to support spending time with your new addition(s).
Take a break
Relax on a beach, climb a mountain, marathon it on Netflix - do what you want with the time you need via our open vacation policy!
Paws and reflect
Dog lover? Chances are you'll find one of our teammate's furry friends wandering around looking for your companionship!
A team that plays together
We enjoy each other's company — whether at office happy hours, weekly soccer matches, birthday celebrations, or over lunch in our cafeteria.
Policygenius at a glance
Policygenius focuses on Financial Services, Education, Marketplaces, Finance, and Insurance. Their company has offices in New York City and New York. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Policygenius has raised $51.05M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2017.