Pie is transforming small business insurance—starting with workers’ compensation
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing InsurTech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
As a Software Engineer at Pie Insurance, you’ll be a key member within our engineering team responsible for delivering platforms and applications that are transforming the commercial insurance market.
How You'll Do It
Software Engineers are innovative, driven by engineering excellence and create code that is a joy for other engineers to maintain and that is highly testable. Rapid problem-solving is one of your core competencies. You’ll be collaborating with other world-class engineers to drive automation, leverage our analytics, and create awe-inspiring user experiences.
The systems you develop will be large and must be highly resilient. This is a dynamic startup environment; you must love working on a design in the morning and performing root cause analysis on a production issue in the afternoon.
Whether it's Right For You
You will be joining our team in downtown Denver, specifically LoDo within walking distance from Union Station. Everything we do is connected: we need you to be a strong communicator and a doer. We are a start-up so hands and minds are needed at peak efficiency.
The Right Stuff
- 2-5+ years of industrial strength engineering development and delivery of large scale systems that had rigorous systemic quality requirements and/or delightful user interfaces
If you are a server-side developer, you’ll need the following skills:
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java, network protocols, specifically HTTP, and JSON. We are a .NET Core shop.
- Strong knowledge of NoSQL databases, specifically MongoDB, Web Sockets, messaging systems, specifically RabbitMQ.
- Ideally, developed RESTful APIs
If you are a user interface developer, you’ll need the following skills:
- API Integration Experience
- Experience creating applications using responsive design
All developers will need the following skills:
- Have created software designs and can make appropriate trade-offs
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks and tools to shorten development efforts
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/SCRUM development methodology
- Have worked in CI/CD Environments
- Be a critical thinker, without over thinking
- Must be adaptable. We are a startup and you need to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent years of experience
Working At Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
Pie Insurance at a glance
Pie Insurance focuses on Small and Medium Businesses, Insurance, Finance Technology, Fin Tech, and Insurtech. Their company has offices in Denver and Washington DC. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Pie Insurance has raised $88M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.