Responsible credit for the modern world
Technical Product Manager
The Petal mission
At Petal, we’re using fresh thinking and cutting-edge technology to make credit honest, simple and accessible. We use machine learning to analyze more data in our credit decisions, which means more people qualify, even if they’ve never had credit before. And we use behavioral science and smart, intuitive design to offer a simple, customer-centric product that’s engineered to achieve better financial outcomes -- with straightforward terms and no fees whatsoever. The result is an exciting new approach to credit that has the potential to radically expand credit access and improve the lives of millions of consumers, shaking up a trillion dollar industry in the process.
To do this, we’re bringing together exceptional talent from across disciplines and industries to shape the future of financial services and improve the lives of our customers in a meaningful way.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
The Technical Product Manager role
We are looking for a Technical Product Manager to join us in our New York office. This is a strategic role that ties together the various systems and partnerships that make our credit card program function (e.g., Card Usage, Billing & Payments). As a Technical Product Manager, you will work closely with engineering, product management, and other cross-functional teams to plan and deliver an ambitious roadmap. A great candidate will have experience defining projects, collecting requirements, writing detailed specifications, coordinating efforts to scope, managing vendors in the financial/payments space, schedule, and deploy new features sets as well as analyzing cost/benefit and communicating results throughout our organization.
- Build an effective Technical Product Management function from the ground up and manage transaction disputes, our credit card processor, and credit bureau reporting.
- Lead integrations and data flows between vendors
- Thought partner to engineering/product teams on how to work with our credit card processor.
- Managing the automation of manual processes
- Introduce and improve best practices for credit card program management. Partner with stakeholders to weave together our various systems and partnerships.
- Own and coordinate new development and existing projects with our credit card processor and back-office payments execution systems (e.g., ACH)
- Lead teams to ensure execution to committed timelines. As needed, hands-on management of strategic/complex technical programs with internal and external partners.
- Drive alignment across teams and leadership.
- Identify and optimize tooling (e.g., internal tools, monitoring systems) for efficiency.
- Build and iterate on various processes to simplify execution and improve quality (e.g., credit bureau reporting, statement QA).
- Lead partner integrations and operational automation projects with engineering.
- Improve our issue management process in partnership with engineering, product, and operations
- Assemble project teams, assign responsibilities, identify appropriate resources as needed, and develop schedules to ensure timely completion of projects.
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- 5-8 years in a similar role and/or technical role (e.g., software engineering, analytics, product/program management).
- 3+ years payments/lending industry background
- Desire to dig deep and understand how a credit card processor works inside and out
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or analytical discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Operations Research)
- Demonstrated experience in leading software and operational projects (e.g., agile framework).
- Strong sense of ownership and systems thinking.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with SQL and BI tools (e.g., Looker).
- Strong ability to influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management.
- Ability to effectively operate with high energy and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
- Possess self-motivation to keep moving work forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid “analysis paralysis”).
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding products both functionally and technically.
- Comfort reviewing API documentation.
- Experience with payments processors, networks and other financial infrastructure
- Experience with a high-level programming language (e.g., Python)
- An understanding of the software development process, and a proven track record of shipping software quickly, then iterating.
For our California employment information privacy statement, please click here.
Health + 401k benefits
Generous vacation benefit
Flexible vacation policy
Company meals benefit
Catered lunches + snacks
Pet friendly benefit
Pups at Petal
Company events benefit
Monthly team outings
Petal at a glance
Petal focuses on Financial Services, Machine Learning, Personal Finance, Finance Technology, and Credit Cards. Their company has offices in New York City and New York. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Petal has raised $46.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.