Responsible credit for the modern world
Senior Backend Software Engineer
The Petal mission
At Petal, we’re using fresh thinking and cutting-edge technology to make credit honest, simple and accessible. We use machine learning to analyze more data in our credit decisions, which means more people qualify, even if they’ve never had credit before. And we use behavioral science and smart, intuitive design to offer a simple, customer-centric product that’s engineered to achieve better financial outcomes -- with straightforward terms and no fees whatsoever. The result is an exciting new approach to credit that has the potential to radically expand credit access and improve the lives of millions of consumers, shaking up a trillion dollar industry in the process.
To do this, we’re bringing together exceptional talent from across disciplines and industries to shape the future of financial services and improve the lives of our customers in a meaningful way.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
The Risk Engineering team
Join a team of bright, motivated, and collaborative engineers using design patterns, machine learning, and a great attitude to wrangle complex, ever-changing business rules engines under control. These mission-critical systems need to evaluate accurately at all times and hold up to compliance and legal scrutiny. These systems also leverage Petal’s secret sauce to qualify applicants for credit (even without a credit report!) and help keep the business safe from fraud. To get this job done, we value open communication, diversity of thought, and a keen eye for detail. We also value cute puppies, obscure rock bands, disaster films, the word “prime”, and penguins.
Sound interesting? Then keep reading and hit that apply button!
- Help us expand access to fair and honest credit to the underbanked by delivering and supporting scalable production-grade decisioning services, including productionizing machine learning models and backtesting new experiments
- Lead technical design and system architecture for services that determine who we lend to
- Mentor junior engineers and uphold our high engineering standards for maintainable, well tested, and performant software
- Work across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
- Plan complex projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle
- Collaborate with various Petal teams (e.g., product, analytics, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g., credit bureaus, data aggregators)
- Develop and use a nuanced understanding of our risk philosophy and policy to implement complex decisioning logic safely
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- 5+ years of experience - or equivalent proficiency - in designing, developing, testing, shipping, and scaling service-oriented/distributed applications or systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Collaborative, empathetic, listens with intent. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Passionate about systems design and robust software. Our underwriting decisioning systems change often as we work and experiment to bring credit to as many people as we can. We are passionate about software architecture and fault tolerant production systems.
- Detail-oriented; a strong focus on testing frameworks. Petal’s underwriting systems are complex and mission-critical. We rely on strong testing frameworks and a focus on the details of requirements to deliver features correctly.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Displays positivity, kindness, and humility. Our open and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need more diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience with machine learning models (and running them in production)
- Financial sector experience, notably within credit and fraud risk decisioning
- Experience working in highly regulated industries
These are all "nice-to-haves" --- we don't expect every candidate to hit every mark. Many of our engineers come from different backgrounds and career paths. We're committed to teaching anything you might need to learn on the job.
For our California employment information privacy statement, please click here.
Health + 401k benefits
Flexible vacation policy
Catered lunches + snacks
Pups at petal
Monthly team outings
Petal at a glance
Petal focuses on Financial Services, Machine Learning, Personal Finance, Finance Technology, and Credit Cards. Their company has offices in New York City and New York. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Petal has raised $46.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.