Making credit honest, simple, and accessible
Freelance Financial Writer
The Petal mission
At Petal, we’re using fresh thinking and cutting-edge technology to make credit honest, simple and accessible. We use machine learning to analyze more data in our credit decisions, which means more people qualify, even if they’ve never had credit before. And we use behavioral science and smart, intuitive design to offer a simple, customer-centric product that’s engineered to achieve better financial outcomes -- with straightforward terms and no fees whatsoever. The result is an exciting new approach to credit that has the potential to radically expand credit access and improve the lives of millions of consumers, shaking up a trillion dollar industry in the process.
To do this, we’re bringing together exceptional talent from across disciplines and industries to shape the future of financial services and improve the lives of our customers in a meaningful way.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
The Freelance Financial Writer role
As a freelance Financial Writer for Petal, you will be tasked with building authority for Petal’s blog as a credible, financial resource for its members and prospects. This role will be fundamental in carving a presence for the blog and how it lives among the broader content ecosystem within the industry. Your work will be essential in creating relatable content for the brand, specifically through creative, compelling, and informative subject matter.
- Uncover human insights and truths that create the foundation for new, engaging content
- Actively contribute towards the creation of Petal’s blog and in turn, help define the content strategy for other content verticals.
- Develop an understanding for what topics and subject matter our members find most interesting.
- Support additional Petal growth initiatives, including building financial literacy resources for our customers.
- Create new conversations for Petal’s members to engage in, while providing Petal with the opportunity to be a part of existing ones.
Characteristics of ideal candidate:
- 2+ years of writing, journalism, or relevant experience in the financial industry
- A natural storyteller with exceptional grammar, editing, and fact checking abilities
- Ability to produce quality outputs under pressure to meet deadlines
- Eager to find new and exciting angles on old topics, as well as finding out-of-the-box narratives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional relationship-building skills and highly collaborative; comfortable working cross-functionally and engaging diverse stakeholders.
- Organized, adaptive, detail-oriented, curious, thoughtful, independent and ambitious.
- Ability to think strategically and provide high-level input, but not afraid to roll up your sleeves and work quickly, in a fast-paced, collaborative environment