Responsible credit for the modern world
Customer Support Representative
The Petal mission
At Petal, we’re using fresh thinking and cutting-edge technology to make credit honest, simple and accessible. We use machine learning to analyze more data in our credit decisions, which means more people qualify, even if they’ve never had credit before. And we use behavioral science and smart, intuitive design to offer a simple, customer-centric product that’s engineered to achieve better financial outcomes -- with straightforward terms and no fees whatsoever. The result is an exciting new approach to credit that has the potential to radically expand credit access and improve the lives of millions of consumers, shaking up a trillion dollar industry in the process.
To do this, we’re bringing together exceptional talent from across disciplines and industries to shape the future of financial services and improve the lives of our customers in a meaningful way.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
Our RVA team
In March 2019, we’re excited to bring our service and operations functions on-line in Richmond, Virginia -- home to a thriving community of finance and tech professionals, thousands of ambitious university students, and an emerging startup scene. The RVA team will be led by the VP of Customer Operations, and composed of the executional arms of Fraud, Compliance, Customer Support, and Collections, in addition to critical roles to support these functions. In short, our RVA team will act as Petal’s front-line to the many customers who are looking to build their credit responsibly. As a customer-centric business, we strive to attract and retain the best people to serve our customers. Could that be you?
The Customer Support Role
As the organization grows, it becomes increasingly important to provide excellent customer support at all times to all customers. Therefore, we are looking for an energetic, resourceful, detail oriented and ultra-organized Customer Support Representative to respond to customer inquiries that are received by email or phone call. Responding to our customers in a timely manner with friendliness and professionalism is a top priority for Petal.
The ideal candidate will be a Super-Agent capable of having conversations with customers in all stages of the financial life cycle and be able to communicate both in written and verbal forms. This person has a sharp eye for details, excellent written and oral communication skills, and an intense desire to make customers happy and help them with their concerns. Additionally, the ideal candidate instinctively raises awareness to leadership when they see systemic or trended problems that seem to confuse, or prove problematic for customers.
The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of how to use both desktop and mobile technology, Google Applications, and be able to do different tasks depending on the needs of the business including, but not limited to, reviewing reports for potential fraudulent activity, making outbound phone calls to customers who are past due and need support to bring their account current and actively participate in meetings and discussions that are purposed to make our processes and product better for our customers!
This is a non-exempt role for a Support person who is interested in contributing to and impacting the Operations space. This role reports into the Vice President of Operations.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Serve as the frontline for customer support emails by solving problems and answering questions in a timely, professional, and friendly manner. These responses will be executed both verbally and over email so writing skills are critical.
- Show flexibility by taking on a number of smaller roles including reviewing reports and making notations on accounts, making outbound phone calls to customers who need reminders to make payments and helping customers who need assistance with the Petal IOS or Android App, help understanding their bill, or who have questions about the status of their application.
- Be a champion and the voice of our customers by sharing feedback internally and exemplifying both our mission and our core value to Put the Customer First.
- Provide long term solutions and support to our customers by escalating bugs and product issues. Learn, build and actively maintain a high level of expertise on Petal’s product and processes and use that knowledge daily to effectively resolve customer issues.
- Develop scripted email and chat responses to new customer questions and inquiries as they arise.
- Work closely with the CX and Ops team to identify trends in support tickets and calls and make updates to support emails, scripts, and training materials.
- Support our Contact center team by handling escalations, answering questions, and resolving issues.
- Collaborate with product, customer experience, and operations teams on cross-functional projects to create an exceptional customer experience.
- Provide key input into the product development, identifying opportunities to improve support for our customers.
- Phone and email cardholders to help them avoid additional interest charges or derogatory information on their credit reports.
- Partner closely with Customer Success and Operations teams to respond to and resolve customer inquiries and requests as applicable
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years professional experience in an office environment (all experience levels considered)
- Ability to demonstrate via role play or other testing mechanism the ability to quickly communicate via email or other written media with proper grammar, syntax, and with an internal ability to “edit before sending”. Very organized and capable of prioritizing tasks in a dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle customer issues resourcefully and with completeness compassion, polished communication and empathy
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with an acute attention to detail
- Experience managing, prioritizing, and categorizing a high volume of emails — support ticketing software experience a plus
- Able to excel in a team environment. Relates well to people from all backgrounds and fosters the teamwork approach.
- Strong experience in Google Suite, MS Office and Web based portal computer skills.
- Proactively seeks well thought out solutions to problems in a way that leverages all tools in the tool set they have.
- High level of integrity, professionalism and work ethic.
- Experience with customer support at a startup, fintech, or highly regulated industry a plus, though not required
Health + 401k benefits
Flexible vacation policy
Catered lunches + snacks
Pups at petal
Monthly team outings