The full-stack Internet of Things platform. Connect your devices to the web.
Senior Product Manager - Developer Experience
$120k – $155k AngelList Est.
Particle is hiring an experienced Senior Product Manager to own its critically important Developer Experience product area. In the last 7 years, Particle has grown a community of more than 180,000 engineers – the largest IoT developer community in the world. As the product leader for the Developer Experience team, you’ll be responsible for owning our developers’ experiences on the Particle platform and supporting them in their journey from “blink an LED” to deploying enterprise-grade IoT products on the Particle platform.
Particle provides an all-in-one IoT platform that includes MCU-based hardware, our embedded Device OS, cellular connectivity, and Device Cloud as a part of a single managed service for IoT product creators. Because of this unique all-in-one approach, we’re able to make building and deploying IoT solutions much simpler than the majority of solutions in the market.
A key component of what makes Particle’s fully-integrated solution so simple to use is our suite of developer tools and technical resources that make building applications on the platform fast and easy. As the product manager for our Developer Experience team, you’ll be responsible for owning and improving the following components:
* Particle IDEs for writing code
** Particle Web IDE (build.particle.io) – our zero-setup, browser-based IDE for simple projects and beginners
** Particle Workbench (particle.io/workbench) – our downloadable IDE built on Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code with advanced features like step-through debugging
** Particle CLI (docs.particle.io/reference/developer-tools/cli) – our scriptable command line tool for manufacturing, fleet management, and experienced developers
* Particle SDKs for building apps
* Particle developer resources
** Particle Docs (docs.particle.io) – tutorials, FAQs, and technical documentation that support developers in building with our products and tools
As the Senior Product Manager for the Developer Experience team, you’ll be responsible for building and articulating an inspiring product vision for Particle’s developer tools and resources that align with and enable the company’s high-level business objectives.
You will be responsible for leading a growing cross-functional engineering team to turn that product vision into a reality for our customers. You will also be trusted with building a coherent customer journey that starts with unboxing their first development kit, and work to align our existing tools and resources to support developers in being successful throughout that journey.
Specific examples of what the Developer Experience product manager will be responsible for are:
* Developing and maturing our local and remote firmware debugging features to expedite development and debugging
* Rebuilding our Web IDE as a clearly differentiated product offering from Particle Workbench, our desktop IDE built on Visual Studio Code
* Working with our marketing team to develop and implement developer onboarding paths that understand and support the needs of various customer personas
* Improving our documentation platform to support features like versioned API docs and interactive API exploration
Our ideal product manager has had experience driving the roadmap for an IDE or software product used by developers or technical users, and has some experience building hardware or software products either professionally or as a hobby.
Investment in our people is critical to who we are as a company. From extensive onboarding to 360 feedback to your very own Culture Ambassador, you’ll have the tools navigate your own success from the start. From there, you’ll work with your manager to create your own growth path and the coaching to achieve it.
What you’ll do
* Define and steward the roadmap for Particle’s Developer Experience product area, including writing product requirements documents (PRDs) to effectively articulate your vision for the product
* Determine and prioritize feature and bug backlogs in partnership with a corresponding team of engineers
* Act as the point of contact for industry relationships with key partners and technology providers
* Project manage technical execution of prioritized initiatives alongside engineers
* Enable non-technical teams to effectively leverage new products and features through collaboration on launch activities, overseeing internal trainings, writing documentation, etc.
* Partner with other product/engineering teams to execute on longer term product vision and/or ambitious product “moonshots”
* Conduct regular customer discovery and user research activities to influence product strategy
* BA/BS Required
* 3+ years of experience in a product management role
* Previous experience in a startup environment
* Previous experience managing product for an IDE or software product used by developers
* A college degree in a technical field (CS or engineering), or equivalent work experience
Nice to have
* Experience in an embedded engineering/software development role a plus
* Design or UX/UI experience a plus
What’s in it for you
* Stock options
* Flexible and open vacation policy
* Home internet reimbursement
* $1000/year learning & development stipend
* Monthly mentorship stipend
* Generous parental leave policy
Particle is the most widely-used Internet of Things (IoT) platform. We've built the largest community of developers and engineers in the industry, and we've shipped hundreds of thousands of devices to 170 countries. Hundreds of IoT products, from smart home appliances to industrial equipment, are built on Particle's platform. We are committed to making it easy for anyone to get their products online, and we support product creators of any size — from Fortune 500s to blossoming entrepreneurs.
We are inspired by our mission of enabling the next technological revolution, and by the incredible products that people build on our platform, especially those with a positive social impact in the Particle for Good (particle.io/for-good) program. We also support each other and our community by embracing our core values of caring, curiosity, openness, trust, and joy.
Everyone is welcome at Particle. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.