Creating planet intelligence
Senior Product Designer€50k – €70k • 0.1% – 0.3%
Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on in tech. If you are a product designer who wants to have a real impact, come join our talented, passionate team in Amsterdam.
Overstory’s mission is to monitor all of Earth’s natural resources in real time in order to help protect those resources and reverse climate change. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages. We’re a Seed-stage startup, backed by top climate tech investors including: Pale Blue Dot, Powerhouse Ventures, Techstars and Futuristic VC. We’re all united behind a big vision to help humanity and the planet.
We’re looking for our first Product Designer to play a leading role in shaping the product. This is a role for someone entrepreunerial who wants to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty with designing a product from the ground up. You’ll work closely with the rest of the small, dedicated team to build this business so that it has a giant impact on the world.
What you’ll do
- Lead the end-to-end product design process including user research, wireframes, prototypes, flows, detailed design specs and visual QA process.
- Understand engineering and business constraints to create shippable solutions to users’ problems, and continuously validate the solutions with customers.
- Lay out a design vision for what's possible by quickly iterating, knowing when to pay attention to detail and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Communicate and present your work clearly and frequently to teammates and company leaders.
- Take full ownership of your work.
- Think both short- and long-term so that you can meet near-term deadlines while iterating toward a future vision.
- Facilitate alignment and vision exercises (e.g. design sprints, workshops, planning).
- Marketing and brand design isn’t a primary responsibility but there will be some of it on the side since you’ll be the only designer.
- A strong portfolio featuring examples of interaction design work.
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end (hybrid UX and UI) product design for enterprise software.
- Exceptional verbal, written and visual communication skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience leading design sprints and building consensus around the best ideas.
- You take calculated risks: you’re comfortable learning as you go and making mistakes.
- A genuine passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
- 4+ years of product design experience.
- The ability to lay out a high level product strategy and vision.
- Experience working on a B2B SaaS product.
- Experience working at an early-stage startup.
- You’ve worked closely with machine learning engineers and/or data scientists in a previous role.
- You’ve worked with maps / geospatial data.
What you get
- To be a part of truly mission-driven work that reduces forest fires, protects earth’s natural resources and reverses climate change.
- The chance to build something from scratch and put your mark on it. Creating a product that solves real climate-related problems — and is a joy to use — is the exciting opportunity that is in your hands.
- Generous stock options and competitive salary.
- Freedom and responsibility like you couldn’t believe. The business will only move forward because of you.
- To be surrounded by an awesome, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- The opportunity to live in the beautiful city of Amsterdam.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem. We want our team to feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and sharing their most creative (and sometimes crazy!) ideas.
Employee stock options
Competitive stock options, especially interesting at this early-stage.
Work from home friendly
With some of us in the team being extremely experienced working and leading a distributed team, we are well suited to work from home or anywhere within similar time zones
Mental health days are equally important as sick days. We also aim for a good work-life balance.
Overstory at a glance
Overstory focuses on Artificial Intelligence, Natural Resources, Agriculture, Sustainability, and Geospatial. Their company has offices in Amsterdam. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees. To date, Overstory has raised $1.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2020.