Creating planet intelligence
Geospatial Data Engineer€50k – €70k • 0.1% – 0.5%
Join a talented, passionate team in Amsterdam united behind a big vision to help humanity and the planet.
For this role, we are looking for a driven and pragmatic Senior Data Engineer to help us in the continued development of our technology, as well as support our AI-technology stack, and making sure out models are top notch, our GIS databases are performant, and liasons between our data-science and infra team. Whether it is about building ETL pipelines, geospatial serverless architectures for forest damage detection, objects in cities or biodiversity monitoring, you are up for the challenge!
You will work on challenging problems on a daily basis. Overstory is located in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and we have a strong international focus. By joining Overstory you will join a small, motivated team that believes that advancements in AI can contribute to a more sustainable planet.
- Building an end-to-end data and ETL pipelines to help support data-science
- Processing satellite imagery and other data sources to extract insights, patterns, and predictions
- Supporting fellow data-scientists to make sure that we can run our experiments in the most useful manner
- Support a continued effort for standardising and versioning models, experiments, and data sets.
- Experience working with satellite or climate data, remote sensing, earth observation or GIS
- You have reasonable experience with Deep Learning for Computer Vision, or at least able to support the data component of Machine Learning.
- You are familiar with data pipelines for (satellite) image processing and analysis
- You are familiar with basic AI-ops processes (e.g. Redis, event queues, Dask, Jupyter, Kubernetes, Docker, GIS databases, etc)
- You have 3+ years of experience programming with Python
- You are eager to learn and like to take on new challenges
Nice to haves
- Familiar with the Pangeo stack (Primarily Jupyter Hub, Dask, Xarray, Zarr, and HDF5 file formats)
- Familiar with Jupyter Hub
- Familiar with MLFlow, Kubeflow or other data-science experiment tracking and model serving libraries
- Demonstrable experience with Deep Learning for Computer Vision (especially PyTorch and/or fast.ai)
- Experience working in distributed teams
- You are creative and curious
- You are pragmatic, you know when a simple solution is sufficient or when pipelines need to be refactored or rethought
- You work thoroughly, others do not have to check your work
- Teamwork is at your core, and you like to help others succeed
- You are excited and eligible to work in Amsterdam (we cannot sponsor visa)
- You understand that sustainability means valuing work-life balance too :)
With Overstory we are on a mission to stop deforestation, forest fires, crop failures and overall make our planet more green and liveable, both for our generation, and the coming ones. We’re looking for people that are passionate and want to help us achieve our mission, together. A genuine desire for a more sustainable environment is a must.
Benefits of working at Overstory
- Competitive salary
- Employee stock options
- Flexible schedule and location
- Using your skills in a meaningful way, contribute to solving some of the worlds most challenging real world and business problems.
- Working in a small, skilled and motivated team
- Working in a modern and international office in the center of Amsterdam (Post-COVID, as currently its working-from-home)
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem. We want our team to feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and to sharing their most creative (and sometimes crazy!) ideas.
Employee stock options
Competitive stock options, especially interesting at this early-stage.
Work from home friendly
With some of us in the team being extremely experienced working and leading a distributed team, we are well suited to work from home or anywhere within similar time zones
Mental health days are equally important as sick days. We also aim for a good work-life balance.
Overstory at a glance
Overstory focuses on Artificial Intelligence, Natural Resources, Agriculture, Sustainability, and Geospatial. Their company has offices in Amsterdam. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees. To date, Overstory has raised $1.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2020.