Sleep better days
Oura is an award-winning and fast-growing startup that helps people track all stages of sleep and activity using the Oura Ring and connected app. By providing daily feedback and practical steps to inspire healthy lifestyles, we've helped hundreds of thousands of people improve their sleep, understand their bodies, and transform their health. We’re on a mission to empower every person to own their inner potential, and we’re seeking candidates who want to make an impact on our journey.
We are looking for an experienced Controller who will be responsible for day-to-day accounting operations in the U.S. for all areas relating to financial reporting, general ledger, full cycle accounts receivable/accounts payable, assets, liabilities, equity and payroll. More broadly, this role will oversee the monthly accounting close process, including account reconciliations and developing, integrating and maintaining accounting policies, procedures and internal controls to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and managerial reports. This position will also assist with the preparation of annual budgets, cost analysis/pricing, flux and variance analysis and other ad hoc projects relating to accounting and finance. This position will report to Oura's global controller.
The ideal candidate is data-driven, process oriented, and able to work at a fast-moving start-up. This individual is detail oriented and can hold others to a high standard. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a well-funded startup on the ground floor.
You’ll be based out of our SF office.
What you will do:
- Manage accounts payable, monitor and review supplier/employee expenses/payments and vendor management
- Manage accounts receivable, including preparation and reconciliation of client invoices, customer information and ensure proper revenue recognition
- Process and reconcile semi-monthly payroll
- Produce monthly cash flow, balance sheet, and profit-loss statements
- Develop and maintain a cost accounting approach to understanding spend and client-level economics
- Review, post and reconcile cash, prepaids, accruals, deferrals, etc.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining appropriate internal controls for financial reporting
- Assist with preparation of annual federal and state income tax returns and other tax compliance filings
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets and forecasts
- Assist with the expansion of Oura's ecommerce business leveraging prior experience and familiarity with tax/VAT regimes
- Assist with proper revenue recognition as Oura expands its products and services
- Manage relationships with external accountants and service providers
- Ensure company is compliant with local, state and federal business compliance requirements
- Responsible for accurate and timely month-end close
- Prepare and / or review monthly account reconciliations
- Prepare and / or review monthly journal entries
We would love to have you on our team, if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting is a must; CPA strongly desirable
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience
- Accounting experience within a fast-paced start-up environment
- Big 4 public accounting experience desirable and prior experience within a SaaS industry is a strong plus
- Deep familiarity with Netsuite
- Experience with IFRS and multi-national corporate structures
- Enjoys problem solving and building from the ground up
- Strong proof of experience with financial reporting and accounting in previous roles
- Have a deep understanding for regulatory and payroll compliance laws as well as best practices within all financial operations
- Effective communicator: Written and verbal with cross-functional teams and executive leadership
- A metrics-driven mindset and proven ability to quickly adapt and drive the right results using data
- High level of integrity and ethics
- Ability to help develop policies and procedures that help mitigate financial discrepancies.
- Ability and willingness to work with our finance and accounting team in Finland.
At Oura, we care about you and your wellbeing. Everyone here at Oura has a ring of their own and are continually looking to improve their health and add to our benefits!
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness benefits
- Flexible working hours + work-life balance
- An Oura ring of your own
- Beautiful workspace in San Francisco by Pier 31
- 20 days of PTO
- Amazing culture of collaborative and passionate coworkers
Oura is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Individuals seeking employment at Oura are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Oura at a glance
Oura focuses on Fitness, Health and Wellness, Hardware + Software, and Wearables. Their company has offices in San Francisco, San Francisco Bay Area, Oulu, and Helsinki. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Oura has raised $48.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2020.
You can view their website at http://ouraring.com