It’s time for healthy conversations online
Backend Engineering Director
WE HELP ONLINE COMMUNITIES THRIVE
Spot.IM’s mission is to create exceptional technology that empowers media publishers to develop meaningful and monetizable online communities for their readers within their owned-and-operated spaces. Started in 2012, our software platform helps the world’s biggest online publishers form independent communities around their distinct content, quickly bolstering their overall engagement and social interactions. We connect millions of unique users a month across leading media publishers including News Corp, Verizon Media, CBS, Fox News, Hearst, Refinery 29 and more. Spot.IM is VC-backed by Insight Ventures, one of the world’s most trusted and successful institutional investors, and we are focused on growing our standout global team and product stack.
We look for self-starters; those with a founder mentality. We ship every day. We embrace bold ideas and encourage experimentation.
Director of Backend Engineering - What You'll Do:
- Manage the entire backend engineering processes, workflows, plans, and schedules to support all R&D initiatives
- Lead a team of 14 backend engineers (and growing) in cross-functional teams to build great products
- Providing guidance to help increase the quality, efficiency, stability, deliverability, and maintainability of everything your engineers produce
- Conduct code-reviews and share best practices using your knowledge in scale, microservices and clean architecture
- Mentor, teach, and grow your engineers
- Partner closely with Product Managers to define roadmaps
- Work with the Recruiting and HR team to attract and retain excellent engineers
The Skills and Experience You Bring:
- 6+ years experience working hands-on in highly-scalable applications
- 1+ years experience managing and mentoring engineers towards delivering timely high quality software
- Fluent in any 2 programming languages (preferably with GO (Golang) and/or Ruby)
- Track record of mentoring and growing people
- Extensive experience designing and implementing systems with clarity, reusability, testability, and scalability in mind
- Able to take ownership and to communicate respectfully and effectively with both technical and non-technical teams
- Inspire your engineers and the whole R&D team to be their best by using your technical expertise and positive energy
Ready to save the digital publishing industry? Join us at Spot.IM.
We care about your privacy! Please take a moment to review Spot.IM Privacy Practices
Options & equity benefits
Generous vacation policy
Lunch, dinners, snacks, coffee, full bar
Continuous professional development opportunities
Hackathons, international trips, happy hours (in and out of the office)
OpenWeb at a glance
OpenWeb focuses on Mobile, Digital Media, Social Media, Internet, and Publishing. Their company has offices in New York City, New York, and Tel Aviv-Yafo. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, OpenWeb has raised $63M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2019.