We help companies develop the world’s most productive and admired workforces
Business Development Specialist
While it appears to most people that we just sell training courses (over 20,000 of them), what we really offer is the opportunity for companies to upgrade the skills of each of their employees. In fact, we have a number of strategic partnerships with Fortune 500 companies who rely on our training programs to train their customers on how to better use their complex products.
About the Curation Team
We are a hard working group of problem solvers who are committed to helping our customers develop the most productive and admired workforces. We become heroes to them when we do this well. Having a high quality catalog expertly curated is critical to this effort.
About the Job
OpenSesame is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced individual to join the Curation team as a Business Development Specialist. Working cross functionally throughout the organization discover ways to enhance the OpenSesame product offering. This role is a gateway to the world of groundbreaking online training where you will seek, research and evaluate potential new partnerships.
- 30 days from now you will understand and be able to describe the four business areas of the Curation Team and how they impact our organization, our customers and our industry.
- 60 days from now you have a full understanding of the depth of the OpenSesame library. You will be knowledgeable of the current product offering, the way in which it is sold and distributed and you will deliver a targeted list of ways to improve and expand the current library.
- Within 60 days you will feel confident with your understanding of the project management and CRM tools. You will be able to demonstrate and maintain the processes in place.
- During the first 90 days you will independently research, schedule and deliver 15 discovery sessions with potential new publishers. During these sessions you will be able to clearly deliver the OpenSesame story and our strategic onboarding process. The activity will be documented and maintained in Salesforce. You will be expected to collaborate with stakeholders to identify and recommend internal process improvements.
- Within this role you will work collaboratively with Marketing to develop key pieces of collateral to educate our customers and prospects on product offerings. In addition you will use the market research conducted throughout your time at OpenSesame to develop contributing content that further enhances OpenSesame’s mission.
- Within 120 days, you will be actively managing at least 10 publisher accounts. You will be conducting monthly and quarterly business reviews. Working closely with Quality Assurance and Catalog Management you will be able to mentor and consult publishers to improve their product offering and enhance sales.
- Within the first 6 months at OpenSesame you will conduct extensive market research to discover emerging trends in elearning and competitive analysis. Working closely with Curation and Sales you will identify and prioritize areas of catalog improvement. Once identified you will work with the other members responsible for business development to create an onboarding roadmap with objectives and key results.
- Within the first year at OpenSesame you will develop and maintain an active pipeline of potential partners. Using inbound and outbound prospecting you will identify and target successful content creators. You will be expected to bring on a specific number of new relationships filling critical gaps outlined by leadership and team members.
If you are a self-starter with an inquisitive mind and track record for using your interpersonal skills to develop strategic relationships then we may have an opportunity for you... however, we are unusually selective about who we ask to join our team.
You might notice we don’t have the requirements, qualifications, and minutia of typical job descriptions. We don’t care about any of that as we do not hire based on specific buzzwords, technologies, or popular acronyms on your resume.
We are looking for specific examples from your previous experience that proves you can do the job so that when you sit back at the end of your tenure and reflect on your time at OpenSesame it is with a wide grin on your face knowing you exceeded all of the performance expectations and are leaving the business in a much better place than you found it.
Although it should go without saying (but it doesn’t), OpenSesame is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment that celebrates diversity.
OpenSesame at a glance
OpenSesame focuses on Enterprise Software, E-Commerce, Education, Marketplaces, and Corporate Training. Their company has offices in Portland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, OpenSesame has raised $49M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2019.