We help companies develop the world’s most productive and admired workforces
Senior Software Engineer
OpenSesame helps develop the world’s most productive and admired workforces. With the most comprehensive catalog of elearning courses from the world’s top publishers, we are here to help you every step of the way, from finding courses, mapping them to your core competencies, syncing them with your LMS to increasing utilization and improving your L&D programs. Not only will you have the flexibility of multiple purchasing options from OpenSesame, you’ll find it simple to use and administer your e-learning courses. To learn more, visit www.opensesame.com/about.
About the Team
The Simon team is building a new, green-field product that targets the learning space with some extremely exciting technology. The team is defining the best frameworks, infrastructure, architecture and practices to build out a product that is going to be evolving enormously over the next few years. Help us create something uniquely valuable for anyone who wants to share their expertise with those who want to master additional skills and knowledge. Our product will allow learners to take these courses regardless of their background, culture, geographical location or preferred language. We have a strong culture of working in an agile, continuously improving, and automation-oriented environment. We recognize the need to always be evolving, to look objectively at where things are getting better or worse, and take action.
About the Job
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be one of the technical leaders of the OpenSesame engineering team. Our team has a strong culture of working in an agile, continuous improvement and automation environment. We recognize the need to always improve, to look objectively at where things are getting better or worse, and take action. You will be expected to be a great engineer, teaching, learning, mentoring, planning and most of all, developing systems that will move OpenSesame forward.
We're looking for a self-motivated, hands-on engineer, who will be responsible for working on our core platform. The desired candidate will be a well-rounded developer, who is not afraid to jump into any level of the stack and has proven experience in web development, a flexible attitude and aptitude to learn and share. This person enjoys working in a fast-paced agile environment, cares about their decisions, and is focused on quality driven development.
- Have a background in continuous build and deployment, in particular automation of environment creation and deployment in AWS and other cloud environments.
- Strong in Go, automation scripting, TypeScript, Python or C#.
- Be a fearless automator able to read and write multiple languages to facilitate whatever is needed.
- Lead projects from technical discovery to delivery while writing testable and well-documented frontend and backend code,
- Design, develop, and deliver software systems that provide or support new product features.
- Work with Product Managers to measure, analyze, and improve product metrics.
- Work with Data Scientists to implement experiments that leverage machine learning models.
- Work with UX Developers to implement features that allow users to better manage their communication preferences.
- Never be satisfied, always see room for improvement in process and technology.
- Have strong software engineering background to keep automation well factored and under automated test whenever possible.
- Have a thirst to explore and evaluate supporting different mechanisms for code execution and or deployment for instance Docker or Lambda and equivalents.
- Possess excellent technical and personal communications skills including writing documentation and diagraming when appropriate, we are first and foremost a team.
- A habit of forever learning, both from others and individually.
- Have great mentoring skills and a track record or improving the team around them.
Requirements / Qualifications
- 5+ years of strong software development experience in an object-oriented language building highly-reliable, mission-critical software
- Experience building large web applications in a distributed environment and can make pragmatic engineering decisions
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications
- And a track record of pursuing self-directed side projects, research, or open source projects
- Experience with Git, continuous integration and deployment tools
- Strong database fundamentals including SQL, performance and schema design.
- Strong systems fundamentals including multi-threading, IO subsystem and scheduling.
- Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
Nice to Have
- Security and safety. You care about correctness, automated testing and data security. You are careful and methodical and incorporate security into your thinking at every stage of development.
- Growth mindset. You want to learn and know that you can. You like digging deeply into new technologies, new domains or new ideas. You're excited to take on something you've never done before.
- Self prioritization. You constantly ask yourself what your top priorities are and if you’re supporting the overall goals of the company. When things are not certain, you’re not shy about asking for help.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You want to build something incredibly valuable and have real impact on the world. You're excited to get your hands dirty in pursuit of that goa
- Experience implementing and supporting SAML and SSO integrations
- API design experience
- Technical and/or team leadership and mentoring experience
- Experience developing tools leveraged by other developers
- Experience developing reusable software components that other developers will leverage
Our tech stack is outlined below, however, we strongly believe in using the right technology for a given job and in constantly experimenting to see what new technology can do for us. That being said we have systems using or implemented in:
We help companies worldwide train their amazingly diverse workforces. We understand how different perspectives are vital to the success of a company. At OpenSesame, we are committed to inclusion across race, gender, religion, age, and identity. We work hard, challenge ourselves to learn quickly, embrace daily improvements, and support each other and our customers every step of the way. Driven by our people. Strengthened by our differences.
OpenSesame at a glance
OpenSesame focuses on Enterprise Software, E-Commerce, Education, Marketplaces, and Corporate Training. Their company has offices in Portland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, OpenSesame has raised $49M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2019.