A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Staff Data Scientist - GIS
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is seeking a Data Scientist specializing in GIS to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on acquiring, pre/post-processing, evaluating and improving new data sources to support and improve our product offerings at global scale. You should have a keen eye for data and have experience in collecting, cleaning, analyzing and adding critical data to our pipeline.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- Lead on streamline national/global data acquisition and merging into our data and modeling pipelines
- Lead on GIS data QA/QC, explainability of model results based on data, data accuracy evaluation and improvement
- Investigate existing data exploitation methods and automation techniques (e.g., machine learning, spatiotemporal statistics)
- Analyze performance, accuracy, and utility of Earth Observation data, components, and approaches in both time and space.
- Be on the constant lookout for relevant datasets and new methodologies that will improve our products
- MS or higher degrees in Geographic Information Science, Computer Science or related engineering fields.
- 1+year prior experience leading technical projects on developing and improving GIS data products, including GIS data processing/QA/QC
- 3+ years of experience in processing and analyzing geospatial data including geospatial data QA/QC experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Geographical Information Systems
- Experience in writing Python codes for data processing/analysis
- Knowledge of GDAL and open-source GIS tools including PostgreSQL and PostGIS databases
Nice to have
- Experience in disaster management and/or hazard modeling
- Knowledge and/or experience in Machine Learning, or Artificial Intelligence
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain the details of various data sets to people from other fields
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.