A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Data Scientist - Vulnerability
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
We are looking for Data Scientist specializing in Resilience Modeling (Vulnerability) to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on developing a global-scale resilience prediction model against natural disasters, pandemic, and other perils.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Build damage prediction models for buildings and lifeline system components subjected to weather risk such as tropical cyclones, and/or severe convective storms.
- Review and evaluate existing fragility models for buildings and lifeline system components
- Review and interpretation of historical damage data, and perform a model improvement based on ground truth
- Verification, validation, and calibration of the damage prediction models
- Research independently to provide innovative solutions for various challenging problems.
- Identify new useful data sources.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in structural engineering, civil engineering, or related field
- Strong knowledge of probability theory and statistics with a strong analytical mindset
- 2+ year experience in risk modeling/assessment
- Hands-on experience in performing data analytics for a large set of data
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Advanced programming skills to develop and support model updates, e.g., Python, R
- Strong desire to learn new topics and expertise and to develop innovative products
Nice to Have
- Experience in disaster reconnaissance
- Experience in Wind vulnerability development
- Experience in machine learning and quantitative analytics
- Experience in catastrophe risk modeling
- Experience in supply-chain modeling, casualty modeling, or a large-scale stochastic simulation
- Strong publication record
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.