A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Data Scientist, Machine Learning
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations, and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a Data Scientist, Machine Learning to join our Resilience team. In your role, you will build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters.
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Build and improve existing machine learning models
- Technical lead and main ML person on the resilience model development
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date machine learning skills and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions
- Formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Must be available to work on-site when One Concern's office re-opens, currently projected for 2021
- Ph.D. (preferred) or Master’s degree in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Strong background of machine learning, deep learning, statistics, and quantitative analytics
- Ph. D. + 2 years or MS + 5 years of related experience in hands-on model development
- Seeking very experienced candidates with a specialty in computer vision or network/graph analyses.
- Advanced experience with Python (preferred), or R, C/C++, Java
- Deep understanding of MySQL, Postgres, Redshift, relational databases, etc.
Nice to have
- Experience working on social issues and/or government projects
- Domain knowledge of natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, tropical cyclones, etc.
- Experience in supply-chain modeling, casualty modeling, or a large-scale stochastic simulation
- Worked on geospatial datasets
- Strong publication record
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.