A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Senior Staff Flood Data Scientist
One Concern is a Palo Alto-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to save lives and livelihoods before, during, and after disasters. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
We are looking for Data Scientist specializing in Flood modeling to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on development and improvement of machine learning models in real-time flood forecasting and computational fluid dynamics modeling for hydraulic structures.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- Designing, developing, and implementing large scale national flood modeling pipeline
- Developing, evaluating, and implementing methodologies and solutions for live flood inundation forecast
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Provide support on ad-hoc analysis and reports
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in environmental engineering, civil engineering, statistics or related quantitative fields with emphasis on hazard modeling
- At least 3+ year experience as tech lead in hands-on scalable national flood model development
- At least 3+ year experience working in the catastrophe modeling industry supporting CAT (catastrophe) products, with strong understanding and experience in catastrophe modeling and/or hazard risk modeling
- 5+ years of experience in programming preferably in Python
- 2+ year experience in quantitative analytics and/or statistics
- Ability to think out-of-the-box and strong drive to develop innovative products for our customers
Good to have
- Experience in lifeline (power/water availability – rare) modeling such as supply chain, vulnerability model
- Experience in wind modeling
- Understanding of MySQL, Postgres, relational databases etc.
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.