A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Staff Validation Scientist - Machine Learning and Catastrophe Models
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations, and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a passionate and motivated Staff Validation Scientist in Machine Learning and Catastrophe Models to join our team. In your role, you will lead the overall Model Risk Management Framework, and be responsible for execution of validation activities for disaster models, model performance evaluations, and working with product teams to ensure that models and metrics meet customer objectives.
- Evaluate machine learning and physics-based catastrophe models for multiple types of disasters and their impacts to people and property, while collaborating closely with the model development teams
- Define validation metrics and implement measurements and validation processes to effectively challenge the model development process, conceptual soundness, model performance, implementation, and appropriateness of model use
- Manage the overall Model Risk Management Framework, revise as necessary based on new challenges and business needs
- Clearly communicate and document findings to internal and external stakeholders in a collaborative manner
- Ensure compliance with widely accepted standards
- Manage external independent validation process and track incorporation of their feedback by model development teams
- Must be available to work on-site when One Concern's office re-opens, currently projected for 2021
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in civil engineering, statistics or related field with emphasis on disaster risk
- Strong background in probability and statistics, and quantitative risk assessment
- Experience in developing and validating machine-learning models
- Knowledge of and experience in statistical tools like R or relevant libraries in Python like scikit, sklearn
- Ability to assess model conceptual design, back-testing of model results, theoretical underpinnings and assumptions, and compliance of model results with intended application by model users
- 2-3 years of related experience in hands-on model development or validation for disaster risk
- Strong attention to detail
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects
- Mission driven
Nice to Have
- Experience in leading projects
- Experience in creating and implementing machine learning validation processes
- Experience in one or more of the following - flood inundation modeling, seismic hazard analysis, vulnerability modeling
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.