A benevolent AI company that provides trusted insights to emergency responders
Staff Software Engineer
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate, motivated, and high-reaching engineers to join our team. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for helping to shape and guide the direction of our technology eco-system as well as take on component implementations yourself. You will apply and teach best practices in development processes where needed, and use a light touch where not needed. You will foster transparency and collaboration - bringing people together to work on the system solution rather than acting as a lone wolf. You will act as a mentor for more junior engineers and demonstrate pragmatism in favor of ‘the perfect’. You will keep abreast of new technologies, but be a cautious early adopter, recognizing the need to build a stable solution familiar to team members.
- Collaborate with product, data science Ph.Ds, fellow engineers and operations to deploy micro-services and data pipelines for ML models
- Lead stand-ups, actively communicate between teams
- Collaborate with the team to find the right place to implement a solution, as opposed to the place that is in front of you
- Work with or create geospatial aware infrastructure services
- Collaborate with Product Team on ideation, timelines and engineering effort
- Ensure that your component does what it says on the box, is easy to operate and meets the quality expectations through automation
- Must be available to work on-site when One Concern's office re-opens, currently projected for 2021
- 7+ years relevant experience building large-scale infrastructure applications or similar experience
- Experience architecting, developing and scaling production pipelines involving live data and ML flows
- Proficiency in creating complex data workflows
- Experience in software development using general-purpose programming languages (e.g., Python, Go).
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL in particular with PostGIS
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on technical leadership experience leading project teams and setting technical direction
- Must be available to work on-site 2-3 days a week
Nice to Have
- Fluency in Python and Go
- Proficiency in Kubernetes.
- Fluency in PostGIS
- Familiarity with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience building creative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
- Experience working with large datasets
- Experience interacting and working alongside data scientists
- Experience working on systems that involve geospatial mapping
- B.S/M.S in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics
Perks and benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
To keep the team strong and healthy, One Concern covers medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for them.
Market-competitive salary plus equity
We offers competitive compensation packages and significant equity stakes. Own the work you do.
Generous pto policy
The team is at its best when we're rested and energized. We do not have a strict vacation policy.
Daily lunches, and fully-stocked kitchen
Here’s what we bring to the table: a fully stocked kitchen. Plus, free team lunch daily, catered by the best local choices.
Awesome office & location
Modern open floor plan in Menlo Park, right near the Caltrain station. Commuter benefits are also available.
Flexible working hours
We know some people are morning people and some are night owls - work when you are most productive.
One Concern at a glance
One Concern focuses on SaaS, Information Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Governments. Their company has offices in Palo Alto and Menlo Park. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, One Concern has raised $22.6M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017.