Data Scientist$80k – $125k • 0.1% – 0.8%
TO APPLY: Please submit this Google Form to apply: https://forms.gle/pqpUafGxCzB7KqAD8
Our mission: Empower cities with data to become more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
As Data Scientist, you will work with customers, from discovery through implementation, to translate Numina data into useful and actionable insights for their city, business, or campus. You will work closely with our CEO, customers, partners, and the rest of the Numina engineering and product team to deliver highly valuable services leveraging Numina’s unique capabilities and APIs.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE:
- Work directly with customers to understand their questions about their data, and translate their questions to existing or future data & analytics features.
- Run analyses and produce reports that provide both at-a-glance and in-depth insights into operational, traffic safety, and other issues that customers raise about the places they manage.
- Develop technical solutions utilizing Numina’s APIs and other aspects of our platform.
- Create demo applications and other proofs-of-concept to test and show off new uses and capabilities for the Numina platform.
- Work with the rest of the engineering team to identify high-value improvements and new features for implementation into the core product.
WHO YOU ARE:
You have 4+ years of professional data science experience and demonstrated ability in a customer-facing role. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience building teams
- Experience with end-to-end product development
- Experience working with modern web APIs
- Solid foundation in data analysis and statistics, data engineering, data visualization, and machine learning
- Comfort with owning your own projects.
Additional experience that could be helpful:
- Working experience with Pandas, Matplotlib, and Jupyter Notebook
- Application development using a modern web framework
- Front-end web development
- Good working knowledge of the core concepts in computer vision and deep learning
- Use of common data analysis packages such as R and visualization tools like Tableau and Looker
WHO WE ARE:
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We dedicate our days to building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We love learning from each other and learning new things together. We work together in Brooklyn, New York, and we recognize that everyone's personal life is unique, so our working hours are flexible, as is our work-from-home policy. * * * We were very early to adopt a work-remote policy in response to COVID-19 and expect this role to be remote for the foreseeable future.
Numina is committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives in its team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and notable angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.