Building technologies and ideas that move us as the leaders in Augmented Reality
Game Economy Designer
Do you want to build the future of commercial games? Niantic Labs, creator of Ingress and Pokémon GO, seeks a Game Economy Analyst to support the development and creation of a free-to-play mobile game economy. This is a six month long contract position, working remotely with our team in London. In this role, you will work with the design team, helping us to craft, model and test well-balanced, healthy and fun systems.
- Design, optimize, and implement key features that further the overall strategic vision of the product, including events and live ops.
- Be the resident authority on the game economy, including the economy engine, daily features, and pricing.
- Develop systems with multiple currencies, progression systems, sinks, and monetisation points.
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Marketing, Business, or Social Science.
- 3+ years designing digital games; 1+ years optimizing live games.
- Shipped at least one robust digital free to play game.
- Deep understanding of game balance and pacing in a free-to-play economic model.
- Expertise with spreadsheets and in manipulating, summarizing, and analyzing large data sets.
- Adept in analytical thinking; able to break problems down and identify key relationships and levers that influence the outputs.
- Able to model problems into quantitative systems, anticipate downstream effects, and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills - ability to work closely with departmental leads, partners, and junior staff.
- Statistic knowledge, able to formulate ratios and indexes specific to each game, identifying specific weaknesses and strengths in its economy design.
- You have programming experience (Java, C#, or others).
- You have knowledge of microeconomics and pricing theory, especially in the mobile gaming industry.
- You have strong marketing knowledge, able to formulate adequate selling strategies to improve the financial performance.
- You have a passion for video games; an avid gamer with a detailed understanding of mobile games and other genres.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Niantic at a glance
Niantic focuses on Location Based Services, Development Platforms, Mobile Games, and Augmented Reality. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, London, and Sunnyvale. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Niantic has raised $470M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.