Software designed to power your organizations, movements, and campaigns
Senior Software Engineer
At NationBuilder we create software for leaders. We work with political candidates and parties, nonprofit organizations, community organizers, and anyone else trying to make something happen in the world. Our customers come in all shapes and sizes, from small town organizers trying to win their school board election, to the largest political parties, candidates, and NGOs in the world. To learn more about NationBuilder, read about our mission and beliefs.
Our engineering team dedicates itself to continuous learning and improvement. We built a process that is optimized for rapid, agile development; deploying to production many times a day. To discover the correct solution; we start with a minimum viable product and iterate using team and stakeholder feedback; so that the people, product, and process improve together.
The role of Senior Software Engineer is to build and maintain the software powering NationBuilder. You contribute to the effectiveness of the team through constant collaboration, efficient use of available resources, and writing software that is easy to reason about and modify in the future. You think critically to find the best solutions, technologies, and processes. You are capable of implementing significant portions of code and investigating extremely complex issues, while following standards of quality for software, testing, and documentation. You break up small to medium size projects into milestones and execute them to completion, anticipating and resolving problems that arise.
- are always interested in learning new things.
- get excited when you have the chance to pair.
- practice test-driven development and judicious refactoring.
- enjoy being responsive to customer feedback.
- are a pragmatic problem solver, knowing how to find the middle ground between “perfect, but takes forever to code” and “fixes it now, but nobody will ever be able to understand what I did.”
- clearly communicate about technical solutions with both engineering and non-engineering stakeholders.
- work well in small teams with a clear mission.
- have the insight to know what’s important and the dedication to get it done.
- Have at least 3-5 years of professional development experience.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about working with Ruby on Rails, has a strong technical background, and professional experience with Rails. We value the willingness to learn our technologies and our environment. An open and disciplined approach to your work is as important to us as years of experience with any of the technologies in our stack.
NationBuilder is an equal opportunity employer and we value inclusion. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply, please submit your resume and tell us why you're a good fit for the job!
NationBuilder at a glance
NationBuilder focuses on Nonprofits, Politics, Advocacy, and Higher Education. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, NationBuilder has raised $34.75M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2013.