One-to-one online tuition with high-performing university students
DevOps Engineer (Perm)£70k – £80k
MyTutor is on a mission to make life-changing one-to-one learning more accessible. Our use of data, including a matching algorithm driven by machine learning, helps us to optimise education matches based on personality, aspirations and areas of expertise.
Our current tech stack is a Java/MySQL backend hosted in AWS. Our front end is transitioning to React.js. We are 50+ people (and growing) in a bright open plan office in the heart of Shoreditch close to Spitalfields market and Brick Lane.
We’re looking for an experienced Devops engineer with AWS cloud computing experience to support the local development team with deployment pipeline improvements. Being curious about and comfortable with complex code transition is essential to this role, as is being language agnostic.
- Apply cloud/AWS computing skills to deploy upgrades and fixes
- Design, develop and maintain cloud computing infrastructure (AWS)
- Release of software to test and production environments.
- Supporting the tech team in releasing software to test and production environments.
- Maintenance of code repository (e.g. GitHub)
- Creation and maintenance of continuous integration (QA automation on code commits) & continuous delivery pipelines (automated releases) to both existing servers and microservice architectures.
- Analyse and update test architecture to be as cost-effective and performant as possible (e.g. reserved instances vs. on demand vs. spot instance).
- Support the tech team in provisioning new environments for testing and development, ensuring the solutions are easy to instigate and cost-effective to use.
- Working with the tech team to automate processes wherever possible.
- Working with the tech team on cloud-based software architecture design to better use existing AWS functionality and reduce DIY code.
- Day to day support and maintenance of production infrastructure for security, reliability, performance, cost and scalability
- Providing production support on a rota
- Provisioning of production infrastructure as the business scales, both up and down.
- Active performance monitor and configuration of alerting
Skills you may already have
- You have 5+ years experience as a DevOps Engineer or equivalent software-engineering role.
- You have been a tech lead before in your area of expertise
Solid experience with AWS (3+ years) - CloudFormation, CodePipeline, RDS, EC2, CloudFront, SNS, SQS
- Infrastructure-as-code and automating the heck out of everything is your philosophy
- You possess mentoring experience with specific examples
- Experience with J2EE production systems and applications servers (maybe JBoss/ Wildfly)
- You have experience in network, server, and application-status monitoring.
- Familiarity with development in Java-based backend microservice or serverless technologies (Spring Boot, AWS Lambda, etc)
- Experience with integration tools: Bitbucket, GIT, Bamboo, Jenkins, CodePipeline, DroneCI, Docker etc.
- You can work independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
Work in an always learning organisation
Ability to influence the technology stack and engineering practices in the direction you want
Helping to improve the educational outcomes of thousands of young people
Opportunity to work autonomously and make use of your creative flair
A bright open plan office in the heart of shoreditch close to a vibe of spitalfield market and brick lane
Tuesday Breakfasts, Team lunches, Friday socials and regular team events & outings
25 days holiday (plus public holidays)
Cycle to Work scheme and tech acquisition schemes
A flexible work-from-home policy and option for flexible working hours
Pension according to statutory requirements - at a 3% employer and 5% employee rate
MyTutor is committed to creating an inclusive workplace with an EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) committee who host regular events to make sure we live up to those values. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all applicants will be considered.
MyTutor at a glance
MyTutor focuses on Education, Technology, Tutoring, and Education Technology. Their company has offices in London. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, MyTutor has raised $15.567M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2018.