We use artificial intelligence to help energy companies better predict the future
Senior Data Scientist
Are you excited about machine learning? Want to contribute to a more sustainable future? Myst is a startup that uses artificial intelligence to help energy companies better predict the future, to increase renewable energy adoption and reduce carbon emissions. We are building a platform that helps companies to create highly accurate forecasts at unprecedented scale.
We recently closed our Series A round from two top Silicon Valley VCs. We are now looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team of eight in San Francisco. You’ll be joining a group of people committed to positive environmental impact from a wide set of backgrounds, ranging from academia and nonprofits to technology companies like Google, Apple, and Nest.
Who are we looking for?
As a Senior Data Scientist you’ll play a key role in our core data science team. You will develop our data science capabilities and apply state-of-the art machine learning techniques on real-world energy forecasting use cases. We’re looking for someone full time with at least three years of experience in a world-class data science or software engineering environment and a proven record of being an effective collaborator.
Our current data science team is well-versed in a variety of data science techniques and has a deep understanding of energy forecasting use cases. As a startup, we're always tackling new challenges, so we prioritize candidates who learn quickly and make wise decisions across a variety of domains. Our current technical stack is Python, where we leverage open source packages, such as TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, and XGBoost. Our infrastructure is hosted in Google Cloud Platform, where we frequently run large scale AutoML experiments.
Some of the best people we’ve worked with did not follow conventional paths. We’re also aware that women and other historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job if they don’t believe they meet all of the criteria. If you think you’re a good fit, even if you don’t meet the exact qualifications below, please reach out to us. We’d love to hear from you.
What might you be working on?
- Collaborating with our business development team on solving real-world forecasting use cases for energy companies
- Presenting the results of your own data analyses directly to our clients
- Studying novel time series forecasting approaches from research environments
- Improving and streamlining our existing data science workflows
- Contributing to our AutoML approach for time series forecasting
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in data analysis related field, including expertise with statistical data analysis of time series data
- Proficient software development experience in Python 2.x or 3.x
- Experience with statistical packages in Python (e.g. TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, XGBoost, Pandas, Numpy) and database languages (e.g. SQL)
- M.S. degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering) or equivalent practical experience
- Experience articulating and translating business questions and using statistical techniques to arrive at a solution using available data
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction, and willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of state-of-the-art machine learning techniques such as gradient tree boosting, recurrent neural networks, autoregressive neural networks
We are passionate about Myst because we use state-of-the-art technology to increase renewable energy adoption and reduce emissions and waste. We work with a dozen leading energy companies in Europe and North America, often helping them save millions of dollars a year while reducing their carbon emissions.
We are committed to creating a culture in which people can be themselves and we strongly believe in building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. Myst offers a competitive salary, stock options, and benefits. In addition, we provide new hires the ability to choose between different risk/reward trade offs (i.e. combinations of stock and salary).
Myst AI at a glance
Myst AI focuses on Clean Energy, B2B, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Myst AI has raised $6M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2020.