Empowering every person to improve their life through DNA
Software Test Engineer - Bioinformatics
Helix is a rapidly growing population genomics company working at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics. Founded in 2015 with a mission to “empower every person to improve their life through their DNA”, our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care.
Powered by one of the world’s largest CLIA / CAP next-generation sequencing labs and our proprietary Exome+® assay, we support all aspects of population genomics including recruitment and engagement, clinically actionable disease screening, the return of results, and basic and translational research. We help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, lower costs, and drive cutting edge translational and clinical research. For the individual, we store and protect their DNA information so that they control their data and can use it throughout their lifetime in a variety of settings.
Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives. We also collaborate with our health system partners to combine longitudinal EHR data with genomic data to optimize care across the health system. This proprietary clinico-genomic dataset, with recontactable individuals and actively enrolling programs, powers our life sciences segment and helps our life sciences partners bring innovative therapies to patients faster and more efficiently.
In response to the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix is leveraging its expertise and infrastructure to develop and deploy more scalable and sensitive COVID-19 testing as well as accelerate research on the influence of genetics on COVID-19 infection and severity.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
As a Software Test Engineer, Bioinformatics, you will:
- Work closely with bioinformatics scientists and the quality and regulatory teams.
- Participate in requirements and design review meetings to create comprehensive test plans covering all aspects of quality assurance, including functional, regression, system, and user acceptance testing.
- Provide accurate planning, clear strategies, and milestones for testing, leading to successful implementation and timely project completion.
- Design, enhance, maintain, and execute manual and automated test cases.
- Identify data for test scenarios and maintain test data.
- Participate as a contributing member to cross-functional project teams to ensure timely and robust execution of testing as part of a regular release schedule.
- Report, track, and escalate anomalies discovered during testing and ensure closure on issues.
- Assist the development team in debugging and reproducing reported issues.
- Collaborate with cross-functional departments to gather and implement automation frameworks to effectively fulfill quality and compliance needs.
- Assist with defining and implementing software quality improvement initiatives.
- 2+ years of experience with quality assurance with a focus on software testing, design control of software development, software verification, and validation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to present issues, plans, and objectives
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Passion for agile development and automation-first engineering practices
- Working knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python, Java, or Golang
- Familiar with Linux/Unix command-line interface
- Experience with continuous integration platforms such as Jenkins, CircleCI, or GoCD
- Ability to complete detailed documentation accurately
- BS+ in Computer Science; coursework in genetics or bioinformatics.
- Experience with cloud-native, microservice-based, software architectures.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks such as xUnit, Cucumber, Gingko, Selenium, JMeter, or Locust.
- Familiarity with regulated software systems and entities.
- Familiarity with regulatory and compliance frameworks including 21 CFR Part 11, 21 CFR 820, Medical Device Data Software (MDDS), GAMP 5, and HIPAA are desirable.
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
401(k) with employer matching
12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
On-premise nursing room
Helix at a glance
Helix focuses on Big Data, Health and Wellness, Genetic Testing, and Digital Health. Their company has offices in San Diego and San Mateo. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Helix has raised $300M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2018.