Catering for people with Taste
Director of Engineering - France$30k – $70k • 0.1% – 0.3%
MobyDish (YC W15) is a catering marketplace that allows anyone to order family-style food from top-rated local restaurants for any group size in less than 5 minutes. We're a team of foodies, obsessed with customer experience and care for our users and each other. But our passion for people doesn't mean we don't understand technology. We're looking for more automation and efficiency in everything we're doing and building our technology accordingly. As of today, we're still the only catering marketplace in the US to control the entire customer experience, from ordering to delivering using our proprietary technology with enormous opportunities to scale.
We have so many more ideas to disrupt the food space and we're looking forward to have you join our journey. The Director of Engineering will be the one to add "scale" to the MobyDish technology stack, expanding our business nationwide in 2020, delivering technology that does not exist in our space today. The Director of Engineering will help us help build and lead a team of rock star engineers. If you love mentoring people, helping to develop their careers and have a knack for building a strong engineering culture, then this is a great role for you. You will help your team to deliver high quality work with speed by helping to remove roadblocks. You are empathetic and a great communicator and know when to speak up and when to listen. We’ll still need you to leverage your engineering expertise, writing code and participating in daily team and 1-on-1 technical discussions.
You want to build an industry-changing product with the best of modern web technologies. You are a hands-on engineering leader with a strong vision for our in-house and distributed engineering teams. Like in any fast-growing startup, you love a good challenge, dream big, get stuff done and know how to have fun.
- Build a world class engineering culture by promoting best practices in the craft of software engineering, architecture, and process
- Develop career progression plans and inspire learning and collaboration
- Create a culture of growth and progression for all MobyDish engineers
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects
- Partner with the CEO to create an exciting and supportive team culture
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates from product, sales, marketing, and customer success to create a world-class product
- Work closely with the CEO and market GMs to create a roadmap integrating both product releases and technical projects and ensure we're building the best products
- Hire, manage and develop a team of software engineers
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Drive architectural decisions and provide technical guidance
- Establish engineering best practices to maintain a scalable and clean codebase
- Lead by example: contribute high-quality code and set code review standards
- Track engineering velocity, report sprint progress and provide estimates to drive timely product releases
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science
- A Master's degree in engineering is highly desired
- 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- On the ground experience with SaaS (preferred) or high tech
- Demonstrated cross-functional communication and relationship building skills with Senior Leadership and C-Levels
- Experience in building full-stack transactional systems (preferably in payments/banking/ e-commerce domains)
- Experience with Java, Spring, Backbone, Cordova and AWS are huge pluses.
- Expertise in engineering best practices (Git, CI, TDD, QA, Automation Tests)
- Fluency in full-stack web development using modern frameworks such as React and Angular
- Experience managing, hiring, and growing engineering teams with at least 5+ high performing team members
Why You'll Love Working at MobyDish:
- Liberty: To improve current stack, build new one and contribute to architecture and technology choices
- Culture: We are a humble, client-first team that is focused on collaborative data-driven success. Super fun team.
- Speed: We move fast, love new ideas and give you the opportunity to push your limits.
- Growth: We are expanding rapidly into new markets, launching new services and creating a world-class company.
Meet your team
MobyDish at a glance
MobyDish focuses on Marketplaces, Hospitality, Logistics, and Catering. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.
You can view their website at https://www.mobydish.com