Support Creators, Support Culture
Python / Django Developer
We are looking for a Python developer with experience running a large Django application at scale. Ideally, you will have good knowledge of the framework - from the SQL produced by the ORM to how to run it in production. Furthermore, it's a big plus if you have knowledge of GraphQL, designing backend architecture or training others. We have a large user base, but a small development team with a flat and flexible structure. This means you'll have the opportunity to learn new skills in new areas, and that the work is generally diverse and interesting.
- An archive of over 50M shows spanning 11 years of operation.
- Python / Django backend with a GraphQL API that services 400 million requests a day.
- A custom-built, distributed live video streaming architecture that can thousands of views for international festivals.
At Mixcloud, our purpose is to amplify culture and community. We operate a fair and legal audio streaming service that supports creators to share their passions. We recently launched Mixcloud LIVE, which is solving real challenges for creators who want to stream legally and monetise online.
We are home to a unique catalogue of 50 million DJ mixes, radio shows and podcasts handcrafted by the world’s finest DJs, online radio stations and cultural tastemakers. Our mission is to get more fans directly supporting creators and build a more sustainable future for audio culture. We want to see a world where everyone can create sustainably and connect deeply. Beyond the algorithm, human to human.
WHO YOU ARE:
We’d expect you to be comfortable in the following areas:
- You have strong knowledge of Python.
- Transactional web development experience with a Python framework like Django. Able to develop web-based flows for tasks such as content creation and purchasing.
- Familiarity squeezing performance out of relational databases.
Bonus points awarded for experience with:
- Web frameworks at scale, preferably Django.
- Writing tasks for distributed workers.
- Linux server administration/deployment
- Metrics-driven development.
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
- Design, develop, deploy, test and improve new and existing Mixcloud features.
- Improve our team by imparting knowledge on others and influencing our technical decision making.
- Debug and fix problems that may exist in code.
- Write unit tests as well as end-to-end tests using Selenium to accompany your code.
- Use source control, continuous integration and code review to collaborate on development.
- Manage your work and how it relates to other tasks in our project management system.
- Work closely with product management on prioritising features which are of key importance to Mixcloud customers
We offer a culture of personal development and growth. You will have the pleasure of working with a small team that punches above its weight, giving you the opportunity to explore creative ideas and expand on your role. We have a flat structure with democratic decision making and we're quite open to suggestions from within. We’re serious about encouraging our employees to develop their careers through goal setting, training and mentorship. Mixcloud also covers the cost of books you want to read.
We’re a culturally active bunch, with many of us pursuing our passions as DJs, producers, radio hosts, promoters or creatives. We host DJ lessons in the office, cater weekly lunches and host social team mixers. We offer a great benefits package that includes unlimited holiday, stock options, flexible working, a healthcare plan and a kitchen packed with healthy snacks. Wellness at work matters to us, and our team also organises meditation sessions and yoga.
This is a London based position.
Mixcloud is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.