Design marketplace that connects people with the world’s best artists.
Director, Wholesale & Licensing Business Operations
Minted is a design marketplace, sourcing creative content from independent artists around the globe and selling the best designs to the world in the form of art, home decor, and stationery. Founded in 2007 by Mariam Naficy on the principles of transparency and putting design first, we are early pioneers of crowdsourcing having launched our first design challenge in April 2008 and have held monthly art and design challenges ever since. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to learn more. Our corporate headquarters is located near the waterfront in downtown San Francisco, with additional offices in Oakland and Kansas City and we're backed by Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, Primera (angel investors include Marissa Mayer of Yahoo and Jeremy Stoppelman of Yelp). We're a team of smart, ambitious, creative, and passionate people who come from all walks of life. Might you be one of us?
You will help build Wholesale and Licensing, our fastest growing businesses, creating massive distribution opportunities for our community of 15,000 independent artists. Major retailers, including Target, West Elm, Pottery Barn Kids, and Pottery Barn Teen partner with Minted to source unique, artisanal design backed by Minted’s scalable, high-quality manufacturing for stationery, wall art, and home decor. We’ve also launched Minted Licensing, which brings Minted’s unique design to any product category that we don’t produce ourselves, starting with our partnerships with Method and Samsung. A true business generalist, you’ll be involved with a wide range of projects to help us build and profitably scale wholesale and licensing to several hundred million dollars in annual revenue.
- Drive revenue growth in our wholesale businesses, while ensuring profitability and scalability of the business.
- Be a key creator of the annual strategy for our wholesale and licensing business.
- Develop relationships from the executive to merchant levels within retailers and consumer products brands, gaining a deep understanding of their strategies, needs, and opportunities.
- Help position Minted as a strategic partner that will help retailers reinvent their business and win back younger customers.
- Create an analytical and research-based approach to expanding into new sales channels, product categories, retail partners, and distribution partners.
- Play a central role in our contract negotiations, ensuring that we bring deeply studied models, scenario analysis, and competitive research to the table.
- Help develop our weekly and quarterly sales management processes, reporting, and internal communication.
- Be a business partner to our Product Management, Engineering teams in building critical scaling tools, as well as to our Brand and Operations teams in building physical retail experiences.
- Work in a highly dynamic environment and should enjoy rolling up your sleeves to deliver results resourcefully.
- Create a go-to-market strategy that includes building awareness, consideration, and brand excitement among our prospective partners. Define the sales and marketing strategy that builds demand and increases our speed to sign new partnerships
- Work very closely with the executive team and CEO to craft the value proposition, sales strategy, and negotiation strategies for new partnerships
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and sell directly into new partners. Also, be ready to scale yourself into a hands-on sales manager as we later build a sales team
- Authentic, collaborative, and driven, but not pushy, in developing relationships.
- Able to represent Minted’s premium brand and our artist community. You do what’s right for the brand and the artist community, not only what’s right for maximizing sales.
- An exceptional written and verbal communicator. Able to present succinctly and persuasively to internal and external C-level officers and other busy decision-makers
- Highly analytical and an expert in quantitative modeling. You are very familiar with P&Ls or have managed a P&L in the past.
- Savvy in negotiation strategy, building value for both parties, fluent in commercial contracts, and able to speak legalese with attorneys as needed.
- Passionate about design, art, retail, and supporting independent artists.
- 8+ years of work experience, ideally including experience with partnerships or sales.
- Management consulting, private equity, or banking experience with a top firm is strongly preferred.
- Work experience at large retailers or ecommerce companies is a plus, especially in merchandising, partnerships, or strategy roles.
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize your time and projects on opportunities that will have outsized impact for the company.
- MBA is strongly preferred.