An online school for remote software developers where you pay nothing until you land a job
Student Success Advocate$35k – $55k • 0.01% – 0.01%
Microverse is a global, distributed school for software developers that doesn't charge students anything until they get hired.
We are backed by Y Combinator and other top tier investors from Silicon Valley, and our team works remotely from all around the world. We are global citizens and passionate about our mission and company values. Being remote-first and fully transparent, we are proud of the amazing remote culture we are building, while also making time for frequent in-person meetups with team members around the world.
At Microverse, there are no classes or physical classrooms. Instead, students learn by remote pair programming and collaborating with other students in real-time, just as they would with colleagues in a real company. We create the support structure to help them learn the skills to become world-class software developers, and we don't charge them anything until they get hired.
Thanks to a unique peer-to-peer model that replaces teachers with students learning from and with each other, our low cost per student allows us to invest in exceptional individuals that no one else has access to. We have full-time students in 80+ countries, thousands of applicants per month from ~200 countries, and graduates from Nigeria to Mexico that have increased their salaries up to 10 times after completing our program.
We are looking for a Student Success Advocate with customer support experience (working with people with a technical background is a plus!) and multicultural awareness to serve as a key support for communication with students. This role reports to the Program Support Lead.
The Student Success team is responsible for answering daily questions related to student relationships, motivation, program information, financial issues, mental health, access to student systems, and much more. Together we work to ensure satisfaction and Program completion for our 100% online, highly diverse student population.
We do not succeed unless our students succeed (no really - we don’t get paid until our student’s find a job!), so we provide the support system necessary to solve the challenges our students face and help them progress no matter what. This is an opportunity to shape an early-stage company and be part of a movement whose goal is to connect millions of people with global opportunities regardless of where they live.
//Duties and Responsibilities://
- Spend the majority of your day handling student communication around issues of program tools access, collaboration, progress, and much more.
- Work a schedule that has some overlap with both the UTC and UTC-6 program timezones.
- Monitor student community chat spaces to provide support for questions and direct students where to find answers.
- Understand the student journey deeply and advocate for the student in every decision implemented.
- Help create and maintain a consistently positive, motivated and understanding environment where students from all backgrounds feel comfortable approaching us with their problems and know we will work to solve them.
- Take ownership of ongoing operational student processes such as setting up video calls for student teams, repairing partners, and reviewing student feedback from Weekly Retrospective Forms.
- Contribute to working strategically to automate support for communication and synergy of services for students including writing support articles for frequently asked questions.
- Stay up to date on all program changes and and improvements and be prepared to answer student questions about them.
//Education, Skills, and Experience://
- 1+ year customer support experience in a service-oriented company
- Based in Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe or Asia
- High proficiency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge, experience, interactions, and understanding of the cultural norms and difficulties of individuals in developing countries
- Mission-driven and passionate about helping students succeed
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working with a diverse group of individuals
- Ability to work autonomously, proactively, and humbly with little oversight
- Efficient, organized and good at prioritizing in an environment with a high volume of daily customer communication
- Have experience working remotely or are excited about the opportunity
- Have worked with software developers or Computer Science students before
- Enjoy mentoring others
- Will mention the word ocean in your application documents
- Have lived in different cultures or countries
- Have prior startup experience
- Have used a customer management tool such as Zendesk
- Have used tools such as Zapier or Integromat to automate processes
//What We Offer://
- Help change the lives of thousands of people from all around the world by helping them start international careers
- Join and shape the direction of a rapidly growing startup backed by Y Combinator and some of the top funds in Silicon Valley
- Become part of a company that is leading the way people collaborate and work remotely, both internally and through the training of our students and partners
- Join the team at company retreats all around the world every year and enjoy our travel allowance to meet with team members near and far
- Unlimited vacation, a hardware/office setup allowance, learning stipend/tuition reimbursement, and more!
- Work alongside a fully distributed team that lives all around the world and believe in our core values:
- We are global citizens
- We are passionate about our mission
- We invest in people
- We are eager learners
- We are transparent
- We take ownership of our work
- We live a harmonious life
//How to Apply://
Send us a paragraph explaining why you think you are a great fit for this position and the skills that you have according to our job posting. Include the secret word so we know you read the entire job description. :-)
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be able to get back to you if we decide to move forward with your application. As the first step in our application process, we are using a tool called Hireflix to ask a few questions. We use this tool to promote asynchronous communication and to achieve a more objective initial screening both which are very important in our remote working environment.
Microverse is an equal opportunity employer and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.
NOTE: Our company has competitive and transparent salaries adjusted for cost-of-living in different geographies. Your salary will depend on experience as well as the average cost of living in your area using a custom-made salary calculator for remote-employees. Here are some location-based examples:
Buenos Aires, Argentina: $37,200
Mexico City, Mexico: $39,000
Nairobi, Kenya: $40,000