The selling app. Making it super easy to sell or buy almost anything
Regulatory and Consumer Protection Analyst
Mercari is the selling app. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k new listings every day, we're just getting started.
We are looking for an experienced, mid-level Regulatory and Consumer Protection Analyst based in Portland. In this position, you will be responsible for evaluating, monitoring and implementing various components of Consumer Protection applicable to Mercari’s position as a regulated financial institution and e-commerce marketplace. You will be expected to make independent decisions, but know when to escalate. You will be expected to maintain the utmost ethics and judgment at all times. You will be working alongside a diverse pool of talented industry minds working under the guidance of our Regulatory Compliance Director. Exceptional communication skills are imperative to success in this role. In addition, the ability to recommend scalable, forward-thinking, appropriate recommendations – in other words, propose solutions, not just problems. The person best suited for this role understands risk appetite and is not afraid to voice his or her concerns, where appropriate, to protect customers, consumers and the Mercari brand.
What you’ll be doing:
- Assist in the daily operations of Mercari’s Regulatory Compliance and Consumer Protection Program, a fast-growing and critical team within the larger Compliance organization.
- This position will report on a wide variety of Consumer Protection topics at both a state and federal level under the guidance of our Director of Regulatory Compliance.
- Assist in researching and documenting Mercari’s GRC controls.
- California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”): Respond accordingly to requests for deletion of data under the CCPA and ensure proper end-to-end execution of CCPA, as well other consumer privacy programs at Mercari.
- Complaint Program: Assist in the administration of Mercari’s Complaint program by:
- Contributing to the identification of trends;
- Extrapolating relevant trend data;
- Researching and drafting responses to relevant regulatory agencies;
- Organizing and facilitate recurring stakeholder meetings;
- Following-up on agreed-upon solutions; and
- Measuring success by tracking the lifecycle from identification to resolution: time to complete, number/percent of affected users, overall ROI, and other quantitative yardsticks to be developed.
- Review and revise customer facing content, disclosures and communication to ensure consumer protection standards are in place.
- Draft supporting procedures and workflows, as needed.
- Identify internal areas of emerging risk, track regulatory updates, and utilize scrupulous judgment to assist in prioritizing resources and planning.
- Interface with various cross-functional teams and support the establishment of the Regulatory Compliance Team as the “go to” experts in our representative area.
- Represent the Regulatory Compliance group as a team player, with common goals, and who never stop earning your seat at the table and leading by example.
- Lock step goal to establish and promote Mercari as a leader in Consumer Protection, by maintaining a reliably fair platform that is dependable and provides reasonably forthright communication.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Law degree with 1-2 years of experience highly desired (no bar necessary).
- Previous hands-on experience with legal matters (e.g., as a paralegal or similar capacity); and/or Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (“CRCM”).
- Proficient understanding of state Money Transmitter licensing requirements.
- At least 2, preferably 4, years of experience within a financial institution, bank, money transmitter or similarly regulated entity.
- Experience with consumer privacy matters at both a state and federal level.
Experience in any of the following areas is considered highly desirable:
- Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices (“UDAAP”) and/or Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) type fairness regulations, particularly with regard to content, advertisements and marketing
- Maintenance of a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Program
- State escheatment (unclaimed property) requirements
Dexterous in researching legal requirements and translating into working guidelines.
Extremely comfortable and highly skilled with use of Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Proficiency using admin tools: ZenDesk, GSuite (e.g., Google Sheets), Jira, Confluence, Slack, Looker, etc. is a bonus.
Mercari nurtures an all for one environment where teamwork and innovative thinking is the priority.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance options
- Commuter Reimbursement
- Corporate discounts
- Time when you need it - Flexible vacation days
- Catered lunches
Mercari US at a glance
Mercari US focuses on Mobile, Internet, and E-Commerce. Their company has offices in Portland, Palo Alto, and Tokyo. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Mercari US has raised $9.259B of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2018.