Helping every student succeed
Senior Software Engineer$110k – $150k • 0.0% – 0.3%
About Mentor Collective
Mentor Collective is the leading provider of mentoring programs. We partner with universities to design, manage, and assess programs that give all students access to a relevant near-peer mentor. Learn more about our company and culture here: https://www.mentorcollective.org/join-the-team/
Our Team and Opportunity
The Engineering team is responsible for building, improving, and maintaining the platform and services that enable our staff to effectively match mentors and mentees, facilitate continued meaningful engagement between them, and provide a window into program activity for our partners.
We’re looking for a senior engineer with at least 5-7 years of experience in software and web development. We are programming language agnostic and welcome candidates with different technical skills and backgrounds to apply.
TL;DR this is an exciting opportunity because:
- Business fundamentals are extremely strong (90% renewal rate, >115% contract revenue renewal rate, 60-80% growth in 2020, competitive series A, regularly >70 NPS)
- The majority of your work will be on new feature development and enabling the team to achieve lofty customer-focused outcomes
- Strong culture of autonomy and accountability
- Incredible opportunity to directly impact traditionally under-served populations, such as first-generation students or women in STEM
- The Engineering team has historically been 3-4 Senior Software Engineers + VP of Engineering, so there are many opportunities for mentorship and being involved in critical parts of the company that positively affect users
Where You Come In
Within 3-6 months, you will be successful at:
- Building lightweight MVP features, assessing their performance and iterating
- Understanding how relationships and connections improve student retention, sense of belonging, and future potential
- High-impact refactoring and software architecture
- Gaining expertise business side of software and SaaS
- Turning valuable customer and user feedback into better products
- Guiding and shaping team culture
- Advocating for best practices by leveraging your experience and bringing your ideas to the team
You’ll play a major role in…
- Considering what we should build, when, and how by collaborating hand-in-hand with our Product team and other stakeholders
- Improving developer tooling
- Improving our Ruby/Rails and React codebase
- Improving performance as we scale up and out
- Implementing new features and "bets" in service of achieving measurable outcomes
- Improving our engineering processes by giving constructive feedback
- Building the engineering team as we grow
- Defining company culture
It is important to us to build a diverse, honest, inclusive, kind and collaborative team. We value impact over hours worked, favor outcomes over outputs, and strive to create high-quality, high-impact code at a sustainable pace. We are committed to continuous improvement and track our team’s progress with this Product Development Team Self-Assessment. https://hackernoon.com/product-development-team-self-assessment-c3707f065069? (Ask us for our latest scores with commentary!)
Additional Requirements For Remote Candidates
Note: During these uncertain times, our team is working 100% remote from different locations in the U.S. In the future, we expect to re-establish a Boston headquarters and continue with a distributed team. We currently welcome any U.S.-based candidates who are interested in working remotely.
- U.S. work authorization
- 75% EST working hours overlap
- Prior full-time remote experience
Benefits and Compensation
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Student loan benefits
- 401k benefits
- Remote-friendly team with productivity budget, weekly all-hands updates, and virtual cultural fun events
- Unlimited PTO (including a minimum requirement)
- Annual salary increases beyond the cost of inflation
- Flexible professional development budget
- Quarterly 360 feedback sessions
- Parental Leave after one year (8-weeks paid for primary caregivers, 2-weeks paid otherwise)
- MBTA transit perk
Annual compensation includes a combination of base salary, bonus, and equity.
How to Apply
No agencies please. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
You are welcome at Mentor Collective!
We mean it when we say everyone deserves a fair shot at success. Mentor Collective welcomes any and all people, embracing their age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation and expression, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, nationality, culture, religion and perspective. We want to create an inclusive and equitable work environment that reflects the very students and universities we serve.
Work from home policy
Mentor Collective at a glance
Mentor Collective focuses on Education, Higher Education, Education Technology, and Edtech. Their company has offices in Boston and Remote. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Mentor Collective has raised $4.96M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.