The fastest way on the planet to learn a language
Senior Analytics Engineer£65k – £85k
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system with a growing user base of over 50 million. By leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour, we’re striving to enrich people’s consciousness and help people achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months.
We are committed to learning from our data to make better decisions about our business and product, so our learners can enrich their minds and so enrich their worlds. To that end, we’re now looking to hire a Senior Analytics Engineer to join us.
Over the last year, we have learned a lot about data engineering. We have moved from an ETL stack on Redshift to an ELT stack on BigQuery, with most of the extraction and loading handled by Fivetran.
This has created an opportunity for you to have a huge influence on the structure and layout of our data warehouse, and on Memrise’s data management practices overall. The work you do will have an immediate impact in allowing the Exec Team and Product Managers to understand how learners are using the new features we are rolling out, and will lay critical foundations for our longer term strategy.
We are particularly looking for someone to own the “transformation” step. We want you to bring order to our data warehouse, by providing an architecture, designing the tables, and building the SQL to make it happen.
You will work within our Platform team, a team of backend and infrastructure software engineers who act as data engineers when the situation demands it. We help each other to be better engineers, and we want you to be a part of that.
You will also work closely with our small but excellent team of data analysts. They are very sharp, care deeply about the product, and are a pleasure to work with.
This position is open as a remote position to anyone in the UK. Though the team is mostly based in London, we are committed to building a sustainable remote-first culture.
In this role you’ll:
- Design the schema and implement the transformations for the next generation of our data warehouse
- Understand business needs and processes and translate that into effective, robust, and flexible data models
- Lead efforts to improve data management across Memrise, including event tracking, CRM, and data definitions
- Help to enable CRM by providing prompt, high-quality data to our third-party CRM tool (Braze)
- Investigate and understand important discrepancies in our data, and give others the mental and technological tools to do likewise
- dbt (we are just beginning to use this)
- Airflow (mostly for running jobs, not using operators much)
- Data Studio
You might be a good fit if you:
- Can write high quality analytic SQL code
- Have experience working with a columnar data store, such as BigQuery, Redshift, or Snowflake
- Are able to build dimensional models of business processes
- Can get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas
- Have top notch written communication skills, as evidenced in design documents, bug reports, code reviews etc
- Are comfortable using Git and GitHub for day-to-day work
- Are able to understand Python code and make small changes to it
Bonus points for:
- Experience with BigQuery
- Experience with Segment, or other event tracking systems
- Experience with managing data to support CRM
- Familiarity with subscription-based businesses
- Software engineering experience, especially with Python
Analytics engineering is a new area. We will definitely consider candidates who are senior software engineers who want to dive deep into writing SQL. We would also love to speak with engineering-oriented data analysts, particularly if you care about structure and efficiency, and can teach us something about dimensional modelling.
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Generous Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Dental Insurance with Unum
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Bi-weekly team lunch with Feastly
- Language classes with in-office and virtual tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
What’s it like to work here?
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do: helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our app to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You’ll join our London team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented ‘Memrisians’, made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things. Get in touch if you want to join the team.
Find out more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrLOi6hmeA&feature=youtu.be
Memrise at a glance
Memrise focuses on Language Learning, Educational Games, and Education Technology. Their company has offices in London. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Memrise has raised $6.218M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2012.