We are righting the wrongs of our industry’s rapid growth with a new supply chain
Senior Data Scientist
MediaMath is a leading global independent advertising technology company, working with brands and agencies. We created the first software for real-time media buying in 2007 and today work with over two-thirds of the Fortune 500 and more than 3,500 brands and their agency partners to grow and deepen direct customer relationships.
We have recently launched SOURCE by MediaMath which provides our clients with the most trusted, efficient, and effective way to connect their brands with consumers: real impressions on real media properties with policies and practices that respect the humans behind billions of screens and speakers every day.
We receive up to 10 million advertising opportunities per second, which we run through over several internal and partner enrichments to extract many targetable properties which we then match against 100s of thousands of advertising strategies to choose the best ad and we do all this in less than 1/10th of a second.
If you like problem solving, come use those skills here to create soft real-time, highly concurrent, globally distributed systems and services. Our engineers thrive on solving all kinds of technical challenges like cross datacenter replication and low-latency, geo-distributed workloads, fully automated deployments, and service governance. They do this by having the autonomy to select the best tools and non-proprietary software for the job and flexibility to work from one of our 15 offices or remotely, from their own home.
We are currently looking for a Senior Data Scientist to support the ongoing development of MediaMath’s proprietary algorithms and analytics. This individual will be a member of the Data Science team, working closely with the Product, Engineering, and Analytics teams on the conception, design, development, testing, and deployment of real-world applications of models & data that impact billions of dollars of marketing spend. From optimizing real-time bidding auctions, to separating human from non-human web traffic, to building out a global cross-device graph across billions of users, this individual will have the opportunity to work on numerous cutting-edge problems and develop scalable, high-performance solutions to big data problems using state-of-the art technologies, languages and frameworks.
What you’ll do:
- Design and develop Machine Learning models and algorithms that drive performance and provide insights, from prototyping to production deployment, across key areas of interest to the company (e.g., bidding optimization, messaging optimization, multi-touch attribution, fraud detection, device identification, cross-device association)
- Perform hands-on data analysis and modeling with very large data sets to develop insights into different aspects of our business (marketplace dynamics, supply forecasting, audience efficacy, identity graph dynamics)
- Lead and mentor junior data scientists, with an opportunity to grow into a team leader.
- Collaborate on exploratory analysis to find and define opportunities to improve our systems and business.
- Partner closely with Engineering on the architecture and implementation of modeling efforts to ensure performance and scalability
- Work seamlessly with Product and Analytics to define concrete measures of success, including business level goals as well as improvement of client outcomes.
- Develop tools and processes to monitor performance of existing models and implement enhancements to improve scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Masters or PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, or similar).
- Experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company, preferably in Advertising Technologies.
- 5+ years of experience with data languages (e.g Python, Scala, Spark.) and statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab). Experience with Golang a plus.
- Experience in implementing projects in any of (or all of) the following ML toolkits: Tensorflow/scikit-learn/Pytorch.
- Have previously participated in deploying Machine Learning Models all the way from research to production pipeline.
- Has worked with large and highly imbalanced datasets and developed good intuition on tradeoffs between accuracy, training speed and deployment constraints.
- Related and adjacent experience with data architecture and engineering.
- Strong quantitative skills, with solid grasp of key concepts in Probability, Statistics, Algorithm design, and Machine Learning.
- Sound business judgment with demonstrated ability to balance technical and business needs to make the right decisions about technology, models and methodologies.
- Can independently drive issues to resolution while communicating insights to non-technical audiences.
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to effectively discuss models with other data-scientists as well as business partners at the appropriate level of technical detail.
- Happy to be hands-on "in-the-trenches" work with real-world data sets resulting in actual business outcomes and better client results.
- A strong influencer; social skills and outgoing personality type.
- A Fast learner.
- An Analytic thinker.
- A Creative problem solver.
Why We Work at MediaMath
We are restless innovators, smart, passionate and kind. At the heart of our culture are six values that provide a framework for how we approach our work and the world: Teams Win, Scale + Innovation, Obsess Over Learning & Growth, Align then Execute, Do Good Better and Embrace the Journey. These values inform how we energize one another and engage with our clients. They get us amped to come to work. And, let’s face it, so do the free snacks, great benefits, and unlimited vacation.
We were named a Leader in both the 2018 and 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrants for Ad Tech, won four awards from the IAB for Sales, Service and Education Excellence, and received Best DMP in the 2019 Digiday Technology Awards. We have offices in 16 cities worldwide and are headquartered in New York City.
MediaMath is committed to equal employment opportunity. It is a fundamental principle at MediaMath not to discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, gender identity/transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, and other protected characteristic as established by law.
Life and Disability Insurance
401K Match in the US, Country-specific pension
Generous Paternity & Maternity Leave
Equity performance bonus
Reward Great Work
Open Paid Time Off in the US, generous globally
Massages, Exercise Classes, and Office Perks (vary by location)
Bring Your Friends to Work
Reimbursement for your smartphone
MediaMath at a glance
MediaMath focuses on Digital Media, Internet, Advertising, Software, and Marketing. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Durham, and Singapore. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, MediaMath has raised $617.877M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2018.