Self-hosted alternative to Slack
Lead Engineer - Core Features (Remote)
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
Working in open source means your work is publicly visible. Your code will receive both credit and constructive critique from the community. With the right mindset and support these can lead to you a highly positive working environment and making the best engineering decisions of your career. Core committers include highly skilled volunteer developers from the community, staff employed by enterprises deploying and investing in Mattermost, as well as staff employed by Mattermost, Inc. Read about our end-to-end recruiting process for core committers at: https://docs.mattermost.com/process/developer.html
We are looking for an Engineering Lead to help manage and scale our development teams. In this role, you’ll work with a distributed team of engineers all across the globe. This is a fully remote/distributed position with the opportunity to have a real impact on the teams you manage, as well as our product offerings.
- Manage a globally distributed team of engineers.
- Scale the team by developing and executing a hiring roadmap.
- Ensure team success by leading our onboarding and performance management processes.
- Develop project plans to align your team’s work with the company product strategy and plans.
- Manage software projects for your teams. Be hands on with your team to help define architectural direction, and make critical tradeoff decisions.
- Maintain status, identify and resolve roadblocks, and communicate status both inside and outside your teams.
- Ensure alignment with proper development standards and coding practices.
- Interact with customers as necessary to ensure a great customer experience.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or relevant experience.
- 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams and 5+ years of hands-on experience working as a software engineer building products.
- Ability to dive deep when necessary and help the team solve problems and make the right decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and grow engineers that you’ve managed.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality software based on a defined plan.
- Experience with performance management.
- Experience defining and delivering on a hiring roadmap.
Mattermost at a glance
Mattermost focuses on Enterprise Software, Information Technology, Information Services, Messaging, and File Sharing. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Palo Alto. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Mattermost has raised $70M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2019.