Mass transportation for everyone
Sr. Technical Product Manager - Reduced Fares
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 400 million annual riders? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Senior Technical Product Manager (TPM) for Reduced Fares and Direct-to-Customer Programs is charged with overhauling the direct-to-customer fares and e-commerce experience and developing a long-range vision for increasing MBTA ridership through improved tools for customer engagement. This role is responsible first for for overhauling the MBTA’s reduced-fare access framework, and then for developing a new logged-in experience for all riders seeking to purchase passes or access rider tools online. In this capacity, the TPM will manage the roadmaps of products that guide hundreds of thousands of users through their daily transit use. Beyond these enhanced customer-facing portals, the TPM will organize pilots and evaluations of first-of-their-kind automated customer messaging and loyalty programs at the MBTA. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Fare Products and Strategy, this role will manage product vision and technical execution through feature development, testing, evaluation, and improvement. The TPM will work with a team of developers, UX designers, and analysts to research customer needs and evaluate new features against quantitative and qualitative ridership and customer satisfaction goals. A successful candidate will demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for public service, and an ability to coordinate with diverse sets of internal and external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a long-range vision for a new MBTA reduced-fares application and case administration system to expand access to affordable transit among local seniors, youth, and riders with disabilities.
- Collaborate with the MBTA’s lead for institutional (B2B) fares transformation to pioneer an integrated next-generation e-commerce experience for individual riders across all modes at the MBTA. The resulting product roadmaps will form the basis of the MBTA’s long-term strategy to expand ridership and revenue as the agency continues to upgrade its fare technology.
- Manage the execution of the digital tools roadmaps for direct-to-customer and reduced fares systems on a day-to-day and sprint-to-sprint basis, managing priorities, grooming backlogs and tracking task completion. Work with multiple team leads to understand product history, limitations, and possible enhancements or replacements.
- Take the lead in implementing innovative customer messaging and engagement tools. Develop expertise in these new tools and work with developers and program managers to institutionalize new technologies at the MBTA.
- Develop and maintain relationships with contacts at major MBTA partners and community stakeholders to drive additional ridership.
- Develop and share clarity around exactly what problem a product and its features solves and for whom.
- Clearly document our products and the processes used to build products.
- Ensure that both qualitative and quantitative research informs the product, and that product definition is not just about opinion.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- Adhere to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the MBTA including the EEO, anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation policies.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Bachelor’s degree can be substituted for at least 6 years of technical product or program management or related experience.
- Five (5) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: Technical (Software/Web/Database) Product Management, Program Management, Software Development, Operations, or other roles relevant to the duties and responsibilities above.
- Experience coordinating with other product managers, product leadership, engineering leads, and other parts of an organization to ensure timely and efficient delivery of the product.
- Enthusiasm for and demonstrated success with user research, advocacy, and creative solution design for past products or programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with modern programming languages and software development cycles required; Communications Software and/or CRM experience are a plus.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and time management skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- The ability to pass a background screening and the MBTA's drug and alcohol screening.
Diversity and inclusion at CTD are very important to us. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.