We pick it up, store it, and deliver it when you need it — without costing you more
VP, Engineering$180k – $200k
MakeSpace is looking for a VP, Engineering to help us scale our products and lead our engineering teams. We’re making space more accessible to everyone with our full-service customer experience and full-featured technology products. Join us as we help people live more spacious lives in 24 cities across North America (and counting).
We’re looking for a talented VP, Engineering to join our technology team. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer , you’ll be managing a set of growing engineering teams and will help us scale our product capabilities and business in cities across North America. You will work directly with our CTO and VP of Product to build structures and processes. This is an ideal role for managers looking to take the next step in their career or an existing manager looking to be more hands on. The role involves leading teams of engineers and setting technical direction and optimizing execution.
You can expect to:
- Organize, manage and coach the engineering team
- Collaborate on the product roadmap with our VP of Product to establish a clear direction and priorities across all areas and platforms
- Identify, advocate for, and pursue architecture and technical improvement opportunities
- Partner with Product managers and lead engineers to Define OKRs for your teams and a strong backlog of products and features.
- Maintain and grow diverse, high-performing teams that consistently deliver results
- Recruit and retain technical talent and help with our diversity efforts. Maintain and improve an effective engineering culture
- Establish collaborative working relationships with departments, stakeholders of our core products, such as Sales, Warehouse teams and Product
- Refine and improve our process with a goal of maximizing impact and business value
- You have extensive experience over several years at different companies, leading and managing teams, including distributed teams
- You have been a part of shipping several successful products, ideally across domains
- You have led teams to significant impact, and guided complex projects with internal and external stakeholders. Your teams and reports hold you in high regard since you drive teams to deliver their best work, and care about individuals
- You are a positive, inspiring, and supportive leader; a nurturer of talent
- You are confident in hiring and manager leadership positions across engineering disciplines. You support and advocate for Engineering team culture, values and standards
- You have an engineering mindset, can jump in and contribute to technical designs and improvements
- You are passionate about excellence and have the knowledge to instil an engineering team that delivers it
- You are a former senior or staff-level engineer with extensive professional software experience
- You have experience successfully leading teams for at least two companies
*The perks: *
- A competitive base salary and a 401(k) with matching
- Generous and flexible PTO (we believe in our team having a great life outside of work)
- Competitive parental leave policy
- Multiple health care options with premium plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, & Commuter benefits
- Weekly catered lunch, unlimited snacks, beer, cold brew on tap, etc.
- Team happy hours, events, and social clubs
- Free MakeSpace storage so you can take back your space
- Beautiful office in Lower Manhattan with large outdoor spaces for lunch, work, and play
*The culture: *
Our company culture is built on collaboration and innovation. There’s tons of room to grow and opportunities to take initiative. While our culture was built by sharp, motivated teammates looking to disrupt a massive industry, we expect you to contribute to our culture to make it even better—and have fun while doing it.
If this sounds like you, then let us know—and join a tech company that makes a concrete impact on the physical world every day!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds at our company. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.