College designed for the 21st century
We are looking to hire a full-time Student Mental Health Counselor to help promote wellness and address student mental health concerns as they arise for our 200+ student population. The Student Counselor will empower students to graduate college and get career ready and also inspire students to ultimately become successful and responsible citizens. You'll have the opportunity to work with various team members and instructors to develop a wellness curriculum, provide 1:1 intake and counseling sessions for students, and serve as a liaison between Make School and local mental health service providers.
You will be a key member of the Student Experience team that provides support to students as they work through an innovative and engaging bachelor's degree program. The Student Experience (SE) team is comprised of people dedicated to creating the best living and learning experience for Make School students. SE works collaboratively across the organization to develop programs that let students better understand who they are and how to be a leader in the software engineering field, and have a lot of fun while doing it.
What You'll Do:
- 1:1 intake, recurring sessions with students (~20-25/week)
- Developing and implementing a holistic-focused wellness program to be implemented in the classroom, residential communities, and on-campus in partnership with Student Experience
- Developing scalable solutions to managing the mental health needs of a growing student population
- Facilitating student group therapy sessions
- Tracking data as related to student mental health and recurring stressors, and reporting data to key stakeholders in an effort to improve overall student wellness
- Regularly offer trainings to students, instructors, and staff on issues related to mental health, cognitive development, stress reduction, responding to trauma, and cultivating wellness
- Develop relationships with external mental health providers for the purposes of referrals and inpatient treatment, and serve as the primary point of contact between these organizations and Make School
- Respond to student mental health issues and crises (may require evening and weekends)
- Be a visible, key resource for students in distress
- Help cultivate an inclusive, welcoming community for all Make School Members
- At times may need to partner with Dominican University staff to resolve student or regulatory concerns
We are looking for someone with the following (if you have most but not all of these, we still encourage you to apply):
- At least 3 years of professional counseling experience, preferably in a college setting, using brief treatment models
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use accepted theories and techniques appropriate to school counseling
- Masters degree in a mental health related field
- State licensure (CA) or in the process of becoming licensed (will support this process)
- Experience building scalable process and making data-driven decisions
- Experience working with diverse student populations
- A passion for higher education and working with students
About Make School
Make School is building a new university in San Francisco. Our education combines liberal arts, computer science, software development, and character development with a strong emphasis on fully preparing students for successful careers as software engineers, product managers, or entrepreneurs. Our alumni work at Facebook, Google, Apple, Snap, LinkedIn, Lyft and more.
Our institution is accessible to students of all backgrounds, 40% are underrepresented minority students and 50% come from low income families. Students pay tuition as a percentage of earnings once they are employed, directly aligning their incentives with ours. Make School is funded by Learn Capital, Y Combinator, Mitch Kapor, Alexis Ohanian, Tim Draper and others.
We recently earned WASC accreditation for our Bachelor's degree in Applied Computer Science (in partnership with Dominican University of California). We offer one of the shortest bachelor's program in the country (2-2.5 years) and the first powered by Income Share Agreements (students don't pay until they are employed).
Join us at Make School and enjoy:
Employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance
Generous PTO policy
Employer matched 401(k)
Opportunity to work from home
Catered lunches every Wednesday & Friday
Employee growth funds & development opportunities
You’ll be joining a team of people who are deeply passionate about our mission to make high quality higher education accessible to students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. We’re a small, fast-growing team, and everyone needs to pull for each other and share best practices to make the entire organization better. Finally, you can have a bit of fun with us along with way.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Make School at a glance
Make School focuses on Education. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Make School has raised $4.375M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2015 at a valuation of $15M.