College designed for the 21st century
Part-time Teaching Assistant
We are looking to hire a part-time Teaching Assistant to join our diverse instructional team. You’ll be working with a team of instructors and teaching assistants at our college. You’ll be responsible for supporting our student learning both during class time in partnership with the class instructor and during lab time working one on one with students.
The part-time role is for < 20 hours a week with the possibility for some remote work and grouping onsite work into 2-3 days per week (Mon./Wed. or Tues./Thurs.) This role will give you a unique opportunity to build the future of higher education. You’ll work closely with our instructional team along with students and industry partners to design an educational blueprint that we’ll use to grow our college from 150 to 500 students. You’ll have the opportunity to grow with the company by improving your engineering, problem-solving, empathy, teaching and communication skills.
What You'll Do:
- Troubleshooting students’ coding projects
- Feedback on student work including code review of projects and design
- Grading: use rubrics to grade Assessments and Projects
- Activity creation: ideate and build creative ways to deliver learning objectives
- Feedback and iterative improvement of the college curriculum including online tutorials
We are looking for someone with the following (if you have most but not all of these, we still encourage you to apply):
- 1 or more shipped software products
- Strong understanding of software development tools (terminal, Git, GitHub, etc) and best practices (code quality, project scope, agile sprints, etc)
- Confidence in computer science theory and technical interviewing
- Experience teaching, public speaking, running workshops, coaching or writing tutorials
- Passion for education and working with students
About Make School
Make School is building a new university in San Francisco. Our education combines liberal arts, computer science, software development, and character development with a strong emphasis on fully preparing students for successful careers as software engineers, product managers, or entrepreneurs. Our alumni work at Facebook, Google, Apple, Snap, LinkedIn, Lyft and more.
Our institution is accessible to students of all backgrounds, 40% are underrepresented minority students and 50% come from low income families. Students pay tuition as a percentage of earnings once they are employed, directly aligning their incentives with ours. Make School is funded by Learn Capital, Y Combinator, Mitch Kapor, Alexis Ohanian, Tim Draper and others.
We recently earned WASC accreditation for our Bachelor's degree in Applied Computer Science (in partnership with Dominican University of California). We offer one of the shortest bachelor's program in the country (2-2.5 years) and the first powered by Income Share Agreements (students don't pay until they are employed).
You’ll be joining a team of people who are deeply passionate about our mission to make high quality higher education accessible to students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. This will be a chapter of your life you’ll always remember. We hope you join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.