Tech Lead (Innovation)
About Main Street
Main Street makes it easy for anyone to become a business owner in the Home Services space. We're a seed-stage startup and have raised $4M from top investors including Foundation Capital, Khosla Ventures, and Prehype. Our team previously worked at places like DoorDash, OpenDoor, Amazon, and OLX.
We believe that entrepreneurship is a wonderful thing, but that today the barriers to business ownership are too high—we want to change that and build a generation-defining company in the process.
We are hiring a Lead Software Architect for our internal software and processes. This person will lead the charge in a groundbreaking new approach to process automation and collaboration for our internal teams.
You Will Achieve
- Build prototypes and product and continuously iterate with stakeholders.
- You will oversee and direct the prototyping and development of our internal tooling at all stages. A greenfield project with really exciting implications.
- Lead and Participate in defining project scope, goals and deliverables for technology-based Innovation projects in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Leverage your technical abilities to deliver fast and scalable technology solutions, starting from the design of the system through development, improvement and extension.
- Research global technology trends and their applicability to the company's capabilities.
- Put together an outstanding technology team of FTEs and Contractors to staff Innovation projects.
- Define OKRs and KPIs to track, measure and deliver on expected outcomes.
- Achieve on-time delivery of technical projects, helping to set priorities, accomplish tasks, and remove roadblocks.
- Keep key stakeholders up to date with progress and milestones.
- Ambitious, driven, and effective.
- 2 to 3 years of technology management experience, leading teams, ideally remote; or 5+ years of impressive work as an individual contributor
- Experience identifying, conceptualizing, and applying a wide range of technology concepts to design and develop innovation solutions to solve core business problems
- Proficiency/knowledge of a variety of a variety of technology design and implementation processes (e.g. agile development, UX), and an understanding of when to apply them
Ideally, this candidate can be given large, complex, undefined business problems and initiatives. This individual should be able to research, scope, define and execute and maintain these builds. Both as a direct contributor and even potentially leading a team of developers.
Candidate Should be able to execute across engineering, product and design initiatives.
Candidates for this position should show a very wide set of skills and experiences:
- Software Engineering, Product Management, User Experience design, Technical Architecture, Project Management, Domain Design, Automated Testing, Basic Dev Ops, Engineering Management
Candidates should have a Pragmatic bias toward action and execution
Bear in mind if there is a specific piece you do not excel in it does not disqualify you as a candidate. For example:
- If you are not a "Designer" but have strong coding skills you may still be eligible.
- If you are not a "Coder" but have strong design skills and can lead coders you may still be eligible.
Candidates need the Ability to leverage, integrate and extend our existing codebase and convention where necessary. Candidates should be pragmatic, know how to develop prototypes quickly and yet be able to execute maintainable stable systems as well.
Our current tech stack is listed below. Any experience in these frameworks and languages is strongly preferred but not necessary. There may be opportunity for development via external API's in your and framework of choice. This role is not building consumer facing tooling but internal facing tools.
- Ruby on Rails 6 Progressive Web App
- Stimulus.js (For Front end interactions)
- Bootstrap (For Css framework)
- Webpack (For dependency and asset Management)
- Heroku (Server)
- AWS S3 (Storage)
- Semaphore (Continuous Testing + Deployment)
- Appsignal (Error Reporting, Performance and Exception Handling)
This entire role is about our internal tooling and process automation, not our end consumer application. That being said, there's a lot of opportunity for some interesting development, either directly into our codebase or via API integrations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent.
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance - be an owner.
- Competent manager of people who can also understand code quality and manage the detail of software development.
- Driven to tackle engineering challenges in fast, iterative sprints to help build a business from the ground up rather than long, drawn-out campaigns.
- Willing and able to take a data-driven structured and almost scientific approach to any challenge starting from inception through the execution and post-mortem stages
- Ability to say NO, respectfully challenge ideas, and call out potential trade-offs.
- A systems-mindset and ability to ruthlessly prioritize what must get done.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, writing clean and clear code.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of conveying complex system and logic to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience in Test driven development and continuous integration a plus
Main Street at a glance
Main Street focuses on Consumer Internet, B2B, Business Services, Small and Medium Businesses, and Software. Their company has offices in New York City. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees.
You can view their website at http://www.getmainstreet.com